What's new

I'm addicted to Dave Brubeck *Time Out*! Anyone else? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am absolutely addicted to The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out! Anyone else share this addiction? I just love the music. I bought the SACD some many months ago and only listened to it a few times. Then I picked it up again recently and I can't stop playing it. Great stuff! I like it so much that I bought the remastered CD for the car and office and even the pre-recorded minidisc just for fun. I am not overly familiar with Dave Brubeck, so are there other Brubeck albums out there with a similar feel as Time Out? I bought his greatest hits CD the other day and have yet to listen to it. How about his other studio albums?

John Beavers

Second Unit
There's his 40th Anniversary Tour on SACD to consider. I've been tempted to get it, but have not as yet. I really enjoyed the "Time Out" album on DTS CD.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
How can you not like this album?

Check out Time Further Out, which is the sequel, and every bit as good.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,

I am aware of the 40th Anniversary SACD from Telarc. Is it a tribute album, or did Brubeck and other original members perform? I also should try out the DTS CD. I've known about it, but I have moved away from DTS CDs in favor or SACD and DVD-Audio. Still, I should check out the DTS CD. Thanks.

Mike,

Thanks for the input. I will look into Time Further Out.

RicP

Screenwriter
Keith,

Sony is re-releasing this SACD as a multi-channel version around Feb-March.

I'm really interested to hear how they do the mix because this has always been one of my favorite albums.

BTW, the SACD absolutely destroys the remastered CD verison of this album...SACD just has much more air and ambience...wonderful stuff.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric, thanks for the tip on the multi-channel release of Time Out. If they have Brubeck's piano swirling around the room on "Blue Rondo A La Turk", I will vomit for sure. Let's hope they do it right.

I have the remastered CD, and yes, the SACD is much better.

Nick_G

Stunt Coordinator
LOVE IT!!! as i mentioned in another thread here, i love joe morello's (drummer) playing. his playing was so smooth. his solo on "Take Five" is the prime example of how to play nothing and make it sound phenomenal. it's all touch and feel with just enough of a hint of chops to know how good hs is. i have Take Five on CD. i have a couple other brubeck things on old beat up vinyl. one of these days i'll get around to replacing them on CD as well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, hang on a second. I just remembered that So What's New was released as a DTS CD, not Time Out.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Dave Brubeck on SACD, eh? Guess it's time to take the plunge. When's Captain Beefheart coming out on SACD?

MikeAW

Second Unit
For me it's Paul Desmond. To me he's been the most unsung, unrecognized Jazz artist around.

As to SACD, DTS, DVD-A, etc....I'm going to wait for this thing to shake out before I get sucked into the Hype and invest in ANYTHING. Me and everyone else have been burned by all of this Format War crap. One or other format is going to be good for using as glass coasters, when this thing is all over.

They can use all of these psuedo-sound technologies to

"tweek" the original music, but it ain't going to improve on The Real Thing...the original music. They didn't have all of this crap then, so how's it supposed to enhance...

repeat, "enhance"...our music experience, except justify charging us extra for a FAKE and PHONY RIP OFF ? No wonder the music companies are in trouble and scuttling around looking for ways to part us from our hard earned money, with junk like this! There, I feel better.

I am quite happy to pick up any Japanese 24bitKZ/XCRD mini LP Jazz issue I can find, and settle for the improved sound. Even SONY US CD "Legacy" issues, have been remarkable releases for a domestic reissue/remaster program.

I will only spend my money on acquiring MUSIC not enhancements!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
They can use all of these psuedo-sound technologies to

"tweek" the original music, but it ain't going to improve on The Real Thing...the original music. They didn't have all of this crap then, so how's it supposed to enhance...

repeat, "enhance"...our music experience, except justify charging us extra for a FAKE and PHONY RIP OFF ? No wonder the music companies are in trouble and scuttling around looking for ways to part us from our hard earned money, with junk like this! There, I feel better.
It seems you've heard it and didn't like it, that's cool. My take is that all this "crap" is for the purpose of trying to present the sound of the master tape, and not "enhance the original music". So far, CD has fallen well short of approaching what I see as the goal of a recording, so I'm hoping SACD continues to improve, I know I've been impressed with what I've heard. Refreshingly non-digital.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jack Keck, nice reference.

How can SACD sound "non-digital" when it is a digital format?

I dunno, I haven't gotten into any of this stuff yet either. I'll wait for the something to come out on top and dominate, then I'll worry about it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike said:

How can SACD sound "non-digital" when it is a digital format?
Must digital inherently have a characteristic (i.e., flawed) sound? My feeling is that digital done wrong has a characteristic sound that is not pleasing (i.e., inferior to the master tape or LP). I don't think the issue need be analog vs. digital. It's a matter of doing digital properly, which the CD doesn't do as far as I am concerned. SACD is much better.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You are correct, Keith. I made the mistake, which I've actually corrected in the past, of making digital and cd synonymous. CD was a nice first try for digital, but I think the new formats hold much more promise.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While I haven't heard the SACD, the remastered gold CD is really a fantastic sounding disc. The original CD is to be avoided at all costs -- the mastering was done so poorly that it is actually a half-tone off from what it should be.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Jack, I haven't heard it, in fact...I'm sure it sounds stunning...but to me it's fiddling with something that not there. It's just artifice that's just a gimmick.

It has nothing to do with the music, and everthing to do with looking for artificial ways to sell the same music. To me it's a sign of desparation and not moving the Art...the Music...forward.

What gets me, is that not investing in new artists, is deemed not the solution to stasis in the Music Recording Industry, especially now when the industry is in such desparate straits.

John Beavers

Second Unit
I haven't heard it, in fact...I'm sure it sounds stunning...but to me it's fiddling with something that not there. It's just artifice that's just a gimmick.
Mike,
SACD is far from a gimmick. It's a significant leap forward in audio quality. You can lay the gimmick tag on multichannel if you like, but SACD is about as close to clearing the veil between the master tapes and our playback equipment as has been accomplished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks