I'm about to buy this amp and driver, anything else?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brett Creider, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Brett Creider

Brett Creider Stunt Coordinator

Tonight I will be getting this driver: (Adire Audio Shiva 12")
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...s/adire_shiva/

I am also planning to get this amplifier for it: (Rythmik Audio A350 Basic)
    http://rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm

I will be building a 2 cubic foot box out of MDF for it but I will probably need some help on bracing it...other than that I think I'm set to go...

Any changes? Diff amp? Diff driver? I can't spend too much....just hoping this is a good setup here...

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

That amp is a little bit overkill for the Shiva. It WILL bottom the Shiva out if you turn it up "to 10" with low bass material. But it is such a great value in terms of price and features that it actually makes sense to go ahead and use it. Just be careful when turning it up.

The Shiva is likewise a great product at a great price. But since it has been around for quite a while, it sometimes takes backstage to the newer offerings around here.

The new favorite 12 inch woofer is the Stryke AV12 which has significantly more excursion (23mm vs 16mm) but costs more and requires more power to really get it moving. I get the feeling that it'd need 500 - 700 watts to reach its full potential in a typical alignment but lots of guys are happy driving them with the rythmik amp. And with this combo you pretty much wouldn't have to worry about bottoming the woofer.

The Titanic Mk2 from www.partsexpress.com hits the middle ground (18.9mm excursion) between the Shiva and the AV12. And I think it would be reaching its prime with 350 watts so its a good match with that amp.

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

You should also consider the Stryke SAE1204, it works better in smaller boxes than the Shiva and has similar output capabilities. From www.apexjr.com they're $109/ea or $199/pr. If you get one with the 250W Apex Sr amp it's $250 for the combo. JJ of Stryke says it has a better motor than the Shiva but he's obviously going to be biased.

4. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

YEAH the rythmik audio amps..... that dude custom modded mine and he has great service.
    other than that i think the amps are exactly the same as the PE amps.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I agree with Frank on the 1204. And the amp driver combo at Apex is a good deal.
    But seeing as your looking to go sealed, I'd stay with the Rythmik wih it's extra features you may find useful and look at the 1204 driver seriously over the Shiva. Better to have to much power than not enough! [​IMG]

Very good price on the SAE-1204 at Apex. It's the better stronger built driver of the two IMO, also can't beat the cast basket, longer X-max, and slightly smaller box use to boot.

Cheers
    Geoff

6. Brett Creider

Ok...

Never mind...

It seems the 250watt amp with a remote has already been ordered from Parts Express...so I'll need a matching driver under $150...As you seem to say I am not sure if the 250watts will drive the AV12...

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Sure 250W will drive the AV12. It won't drive it to it's fullest potential, but you'll still have a damn good sub.

8. Brett Creider

So get the AV12 or the tempest? That's what I am debating right now...

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Both subs can displace similar amounts of air but it will take more power to for the AV12 to reach any given SPL. You also have to consider that the AV12 works well in very small enclosures but the Tempest needs much larger enclosure.

10. Brett Creider

building a big box is not a problem. Right now I plan on making a 20" deep, 20" wide, 30" high box not including 5" tall feet. All sealed of course, unless you say otherwise (mostly for music, all kinds of it)