What's new

I'm about ready to flip a coin..... (1 Viewer)

Eric-J-W

Auditioning
Hi, long time reader, first time poster....

I am looking to upgrade my current receiver and am completely stuck between the Onkyo 797 and the Yamaha 2200. They seem to be equally admirable units, and I have tested them in store and they sound the same to me. If anyone has any experience with them or even just a general opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I am running all JBL's:
(2) S310 mains
(2) S38 surround
(1) S-Center

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Bob Sheen

Stunt Coordinator
I have no experience with the Onkyo, but i do have a RXV2200. I've had it for about 2 or 3 months and i'm really happy with this receiver. It's amazing how clean it is even at high volumes.

You'd happy with this receiver if you use it for a mix of HT and music.

Bob

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I have no experience with the Yamaha, but I do have a 797. I've had it for 8 months and am happy with the unit. If I had to do it over again with this unit I would get the Denon 3802.

Phil

PS Still happy with Onkyo though

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
i would also highly recommend the 2200. it is amazing for ht and music. very clean receiver. not at all bright like many of the earlier models. in fact i think it is a "warm" receiver. compared it to the denon 3802 (fantastic receiver) and i heard things with the yamaha that i never heard on the denon. it sounded warmer than the denon but still had very good highs and lows. onkyo makes a great receiver also but i think the yamaha edges it out in sound. i am also impressed by the yamaha remote. i just wish it was backlit. yamaha quality is secong to none as well. both would be great receivers. i am very yamaha biased though. you should try to demo these receivers side by side with your speakers if possible and let your ears choose. good luck

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

What are the prices on the two?

The HK AVR-8000 can be had for ~$1500 (maybe less). It adds THX and, more importantly, Logic 7. It compares closer to the flagship receivers than the mid-level models.

Eric-J-W

Auditioning
Thanks for the input so far guys!

Both of these receivers can be had for $999 at Good Guys/Circuit City, which is about all I can justify right now on spending for electronics. I will be using these for about 80% HT/ 20% music. I haven't had a chance to preview the Denon 3802 or anything around this range in HK (nobody has them in stock in the area), but the Denon doesn't seem to have enough digital inputs for my needs.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Eric,
That is a tough choice. I have Klipsch reference speakers so i went with the 797(the 2200 was a little too bright for my speakers). If you have bright sounding speakers i would say go with the 797. If your speakers are not bright, then go with the coin toss:)

Eric-J-W

Auditioning
Well, the coin got tossed for me....
Cicuit City just announced a sale on the 797: It is now $899. I personally would rather pay the extra hundred bucks and KNOW that I'm getting the right one, but luckily they have a pretty good return policy, so if it doesn't work I'll just return it and try the others.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I did a comparison between the Denon 2802, 3801 and the Yamaha 1200 and 2200. Did a 2-channel music test. Here is what I found:

1200 better than 2802
1200 almost equal to 3802
2200 much better than 3802
2200 much better than 1200

2200 was richer, fuller, and made the speakers disappear into the room, with a huge soundstage that went out past the walls. Really impressive.

Then put in some 5.1 channel music, and heard the same things, no sense of speakers what so ever.

It was more than I could afford, so now I am saving up!

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see how we can help. You know all about the 2 candidates, and you have the additional advantage of knowing what various features are worth to you. If you can't make the decision, how on earth can we make it for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks