What's new

I'm a trance DJ and I need a good receiver and speakers. Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Dave McAtee

Auditioning
Hi, I need some input, but first let me state the facts: I am a trance DJ, I have technics 1200s, a vestax mixer, and two Technics SB-LX90K Speakers (with 15" woofers) which I think are 200W.

Now I want to get a home theater system to hook this up to, but I want to use it not only for spinning trance, but for watching movies and listening to other music as well. BTW, I don't need it to induce seismic activity, i.e. it needs to go loud but not TOO loud...

So I need at least surround and center speakers and a receiver. I don't care much about features, just sound quality! I hear you are supposed to find speakers first, but I have already been researching receivers (did a forum search here) and I heard good things about Marantz, H/K, and NAD. I also heard you need to balance speakers with receiver as far as the brightness/warmness of each go, but I have no idea what combos work well. Please let me know what speakers and receiver you think would work well in this situation. Thanks!

P.S. my budget is around $1000 I guess, but I'm not too worried about it as long as I get some good sound without paying for a lot of extra stuff I don't need.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
maybe we need to begin by finding out how large your room is and if your near-term intention is to reuse those speakers in which case you'd be looking for 2 plus a center channel (a sub too?).

MichaelZ

Grip
I need a receiver for pretty much the same thing. I'm a DJ too. mostly house and breaks with some trance. I got two cerwin vega E-712 floor speakers rated at 300w. i need a receiver to handle them, plus a home theatre. (after i get the receiver i'm gonna get a JBL centre channel and 2 rear speakers)

Dave McAtee

Auditioning
The room is medium sized, I don't know the exact dimensions because I'll be moving into it at the end of august. If I had to guess I would say 14 X 16, but I could be off a little. I do want to use the technics speakers for the fronts if possible... I don't know if I'll need a sub since those are 200W each with 15" woofers in them.

MichaelZ- have you decided on which speakers you will get for the center and 2 rears? For my receiver I was thinking of the Marantz 5300...

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
www.pssl.com
JBL EON is good, so is Cerwin Wega... U dont need center speaker.. If I were u I'd get an outlaw Amplifier, some quality monitor speakers (Energy C3, B&W 602, etc, etc) and nice Allen & Heath Xone 32 mixer..

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Too bad you guys don't live in Austin, there was an ad in our local paper several months ago where a doctor (I assume since his email was doctor something) was trying to sell his system at an incredible price.

He had listed ATC SCM300 speakers which are pro design speakers, some pro level amp and preamp (never heard of the brand), and a Magnum Dynalab tuner all for $2K or best offer.

Those speakers would be so sweet to hear, especially if a band or a DJ bought them and used them for their live shows.

Or this would have been just a good investment as the speakers alone retail for $18K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks