What's new

I'm a potential Dish Network customer. Any advice? (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm considering this Dish Deal at the very bottom of the page. Never gotten satellite service before. Not interested in the whole PVR deal either. Comcast HD is not available in my area and nobody knows when it will be.

Does this seem like a good deal? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like an inexpensive way to get satellite HD and OTA HD w/ very little start up cost. I can't find a DirectTV deal anywhere near this good.

Peace,

DM

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
WOW! Thanks man, I just ordered Dish!

Here's what I got for 49.99, which will be credited to my first months bill:

811 HD receiver with DVI and OTA tuner
dish and installation.

first 4 months 9.99/mo 100 channels (free) plus HD
next 8 months 34.98/mo 50 channels plus HD
after that 9.99/mo just HD

This is a supplement to my cable, since there is no HD cable in my area. 350 dollars for a tuner, dish, installation, and a year of programming is a great deal.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I take it you think it is a good deal. ;)

Any Dish Network subscribers want to comment on your satisfaction or disatisfaction w/ the service?

I did read the fine print and the last deal is for 2 years. I wanted the 811 and two 301's.

Peace,

DM

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I've been a Dish customer since April of 2002 and have enjoyed near flawless reception. Even during storms, it rarely goes out.

I currently have a PVR 501 and 2 301 receivers which are their basic receivers. I'm looking to upgrade one of the 301's for their new 510 PVR's for $99.

I did have a problem with my original 501 receiver. I called them up and told them everything I did to troubleshoot and they sent me out a new receiver.

I did have Directv before Dish and comparing the 2 I do not regret getting Dish, but not having Sunday Ticket kinda sucks, but it now saves me $200 a year not having that option.

I'm not able to give you input on the HD side of Dish.

Paul

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I was thinking of getting the Tivo package myself. From what I hear, the Dish subscribers here pay less per month than Comcast Digital Cable. I wanted to see if Comcast would roll out a Tivo package themselves so that I could do a price comparison.

I think the satellite is fine but it doesn't seem friendly for channel surfers like myself. I don't know if the channels are set up the same across the nation but I hate the way it is here. The local stations are grouped in the beginning, so far so good. The problem is when you need to see what is going on with the cable networks, like ESPN, TNT, MTV, HBO, etc. There is like a zillion PPV channels in between the local stations and the cable stations. I hate that.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Hunter -

You can set up custom guides on most receivers that only include the channels you want to see. That might be the answer for the surfer in you.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
DISH customer for 6 yrs. Very satisfied with both price and performance. Have never lost service due to snow, however, have lost it during a few extremely heavy thunder storms, maybe twice a year or so for a few minutes. Way less than our cable went out where we used to live in Foxboro, MA, which went out for hours at least once a month. I am taking installation of the new SuperDish and a new 510 on Friday and getting my local nets in the deal, which I thought I would never get. No cable here. Have played with DirecTV at some friends houses, but do not like the way the interface works. Could be because I am so used to the DISH setup/interface though. The only thing I miss about cable is availability of broadband through it. Otherwise I never miss it or even give it a thought. Also, I am looking forward to the possibility of HD in the future when funds permit. Looks like DISH is pretty good for that too.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
Satisfied customer here. My parents have land based cable (Comcast) and it really sucks. The interface is a joke. They don't even have customizable favorites. All of the Dish receivers I have give you 4 favorites lists or guides. I have mine set so that one is for all my channels, one is for my wife (in the bedroom where she does all her watching), one is for movies, one is for the music channels, and one is for cartoons. You modify each guide by adding only the channels you want in it. There are also 2 other guides; an all channel and one with your subscription channels. All the boxes can be programmed to control your VCRs and record shows automatically - no more VCR+ needed, this is far better. All one need do to "program" or schedule a recording either on a VCR or on the DVR is press the guide button and select the show you want. It's really that easy.

The reception will go out during heavy storms sometimes, but I have an antennae in my attic so at least I can get regular TV during those few moments.

I love my PVR! Would never consider going back to using a VCR for time shifting. Plus it records Dolby Digital material in Dolby Digital. One does not need to have a phone line hooked up to the PVR as in Tivo unless you want to order pay for view stuff or get online billing info.

The non-PVR recievers kinda suck compared to the PVR. But I have no other digital cable experience to compare to- so.

Here in the Big D metromess they are currently offering an even better deal than I got. Two PVRs FREE! Not sure what model, but I think they said 80 or 100 hours (mine is only 60).

For some reason, people have the misconception that satellite cable is cheaper than land cable. It's not; at least in the upper tier levels. I have one 501 PVR, three regular receivers, the top 150 channels, and the HBO & Cinemax package (about a dozen channels plus some assorted Encore channels). Also, the local stations, which is extra. Costs $92 a month including all taxes.

Did I mention the picture and sound are great? I only have a 32" TV though, nothing fancy.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I've been a Dish subscriber for several years (more than 5).

It's a good deal.
I would say, though, that if you tried a DVR, you would wonder how you lived without it, after awhile.

A couple of things:
The "Free Basic Professional Installation" assumes they can tack the dish on the side of the house and get Line of Sight to the satellites from there... and it assumes a simple cable run. Anything more, and you will be charged extra. I believe the SuperDish packages require pro install - they frown on do-it-yourselfers like me these days (I installed my Dish300 dish myself... and relocated the dish and upgraded to a Dish500 as well). Be prepared for the possibility that the installer who shows up may tell you that you need to cough up $100 for extra services (pole mount / roof mount, extra cable, etc).

If you decide to go with a DVR, it's worth purchasing the "extended warranty." For $1.99/mo, Dish will repair or replace any Dish branded equipment on your account, after the initial warranty expires. For DVRs, which have a higher failure rate than other equipment, it's worth it. Hold off on the warranty purchase until a month before the standard warranty expires.

Good luck,
-Scott

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
What are the HD stations that you get. At the mall they have a kiosk set up for dish and I grabbed a pamphlet but did not get to talk to the guy long. If I understood him you get the HD channels for free if you get the HD receiver package. I think he also said that you can now get the networks in HD, ABC CBS NBC WB UPN, is this correct? I would much rather do this than by an OTA tuner and mount a hugh pole on the roof in the hope that I can get the locals. Thanks for the info. I tried checking Dish's site but it seems to be out of date not saying anything about several of the packages that they had listed at the mall.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think he also said that you can now get the networks in HD, ABC CBS NBC WB UPN, is this correct?
Dish only carries CBS HD. It is available to customers in CBS owned and operated markets, in areas not able to get a CBS OTA signal or by waiver from your local CBS affiliate. All other HD signals must be received via antenna or 8VSB over cable (very unlikely).

-Robert

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Right now, Dish is offering HDNET, HDMovies, ESPNHD and DiscoveryHD, plus HBO and Showtime and CBS network in certain areas. That's it. Dish is trying to push the bar, but the pickings remain pretty slim.
I've been a Dish customer for about 18 months. I haven't regretted the move from the blasted cable.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Ok, I talked to a E* CSR today and he was encouraging me to do the Digital Home Plan and lease the equipment. DHP gives a lifetime warranty, no start up cost, 1 yr commitment, but no equipment upgrades for a year either. He said I could get the 811 for HD & the 322 which has two tuners and would drive two TV's.

Also, will I need the SuperDish in the future? The Dish 500 is a part of the DHP and he said that he'd give me the SuperDish for $100 or a two year commitment.

What do ya'll think?

Peace,

DM

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Also, will I have a problem with rain fade? I live in SW Florida. Are there other issues w/ being so far south?

Peace,

DM

Evan M

Second Unit
I live in Lower AL (Mobile to be exact...) and have had Dish Network for 3 or 4 months now. I've had almost no problems with the signal at all, even in the rain... and we certainly get our fair share of it here. The picture has pixelated for a few seconds a few times.. but, it's been rare and has never lasted more than a second or so.

As anything in this category goes, YMMV.. but I've been pleased :)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Also, will I need the SuperDish in the future?
Dave,

If you are really interested in the HD content Dish has, then SuperDish is the way to go. From my understanding, their future HD channels will only be accessible through the Superdish configuration.

Paul

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I just ordered Dish with a Tivo box. Im signed up for a year with the $40 a month plan. I dont need all the HBO's, Showtimes etc.

I get a free DVD player too for signing up! :laugh:

One less Christmas present to buy.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
Matt Butler,

I think you are talking about Dish Direct, not Dish Network. They are two distinctly different things. Tivo goes with Dish Direct. Dish Network does not have Tivo.

Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks