I'm a multiplatformer

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PS Nystrom, Apr 14, 2003.

1. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I couldn't take it anymore. I like the idea of only having one videogame system, but it's impossible. Now I pray that I don't completely break down and buy all three consoles!

I've been Cubing since it came out, and for more than a year it has satisfied me. But I've always wanted Final Fantasy X and Gran Turismo 3 and their expected sequels. I tried everything I could to put them off - Phantasy Star Online instead of FFX , Burnout 2 instead of GT3 - but it was no use. The fact that Easter break is coming up was the final straw. Eleven days and nights of no papers to grade and no lessons to plan proved too tempting. So I now own a PS2.

And that's where I need help. Aside from the games listed above I know very little about what's been released on the PS2. My interests lie in RPGs and non-sports online games (I do have broadband). What are the AAA titles in those genres? Thanks for the suggestions.

Pieter

P.S. Please don't think I'm knocking the GameCube or X-Box, in a perfect world I'd own all three because they all have great games. With me it is purely a financial issue as well as a cabling issue. I've already got three components with component connections vying for the two inputs on my TV. Throw in the PS2 and X-Box and I have no idea what the solution will be to that problem.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

While I was back home over the weekend, my brother and I played the crap out of "Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven". It rules. [​IMG]

3. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

How about Dark Cloud 2 and Amplitude? Both are sequels to good games and both have gotten excellent reviews and word of mouth. They're the next two on my list to pick up.

4. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

You can get Mark of Kri for $10-20 at your local EB, one of the best deals you can get and very little risk at that price.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Go try to find Frequency and Amplitude. Freq is pretty cheap now, and Amp is only $40 brand new.

Wait....you're a teacher? And you play VIDEOGAMES?!?!?! Why can't any of mine be that cool.

7. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Wait, you mean component video switcher, right? Where did you find one?

8. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

What's the word on Xenosaga? That game sounds right up my alley.

Pieter

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Well I'll be. That is some very encouraging news. Thanks, I can't wait to try it out.

Pieter

11. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I'd rather have an actual component switcher, but it's a great low-cost alternative. I use a Hip Gear switcher from CompUSA, which has five inputs and console-labeled buttons. Make sure you put the RBG cables in the same RWY inputs consistently across the box. This only works with a passive, button-based switcher. An active, electronic switcher won't pass the signal cleanly. For audio, I route the GC through my receiver and use a Recoton optical switcher for the PS2 and Xbox.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Lots of cutscenes (which can thankfully be paused) surrounding a good, solid RPG. I had rented it before, but purchased it today.

BTW: Toys'r'Us has a 'Buy 2 get 1 Free' deal this week, so you can get Xenogears & 2 more to beef up your collection. [​IMG]

13. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Wow, great. I will be sure to check that out.

Pieter

14. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I'm about 80% of the way through Xenosaga and it seems pretty weak so far. It has passable combat system, relatively good graphics, nice minigames, and not much of a story. I don't mind having a lot of cut scenes, in fact, I like them. The problem in Xenosaga is that nothing of real importance seems to happen, the characters are not good, and the plot falls into an EXTREMELY predictable pattern. It's not a bad game, and the card minigame is a blast, but more happened in the first few hours of Xenogears than has happened in the entire game for me so far.

I'm all for games that have sequels that follow after the original's story, but I don't like it when a $50 game can't tell a full story on its own(ie: shenmue and xenosaga).