illegal XP?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ed Kerns, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

Here's the thing. My son (away at school) bought a used PC from a fellow student. It seems now the the XP pro O.S. is an unregistered copy. I suppose a more savvy user would have been wary of this problem from the outset. I've since learned that bootleg copies of XP pro are not all that rare, but the fact remains that he now owns a computer with illegal software. My questions are these; Does he (I) have to buy a full retail version of XP to replace the bogus copy? OR can we buy an OEM version, OR can we buy an XP upgrade? Naturally I don't want to spend more than necessary to fix this problem, but more than that, I want to do what's legally and ethically proper. There may be a life lesson in here somewhere, I just hope it's not a $300 life lesson.
    If we solve this deli ma, my next question involves how to install the new operating system, but I think best to tackle one issue at a time.
    [​IMG] Thanks!

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Oddly, about one in four copies of XP Pro in the US is an XP Pro-preintegrated corporate copy.. if the demand is to be legal, then you are entitled to buy an XP OEM licence, normally about $149, and it can be changed to the new product key via a repair install.

I would almost bet money 3 out of 5 kids your kid knows is using a PC with a corporate, non legal copy [​IMG] .. not because that's a lark, but because that's what MS tells people like me (registered partners) and I have no reason to doubt them.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    your son may be entitled to a very cheap (or free) copy of windows XP, depending on where he goes to school. tell him to ask the computer help desk or offices. microsoft participates in partnerships with a bunch of schools, and he may be able to get a legal copy for $5 to use as long as he is in school.

figures, i got a free legal copy of xp about the same time i decide to completely move to linux [​IMG]

CJ

4. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

the university of michigan, GO BLUE, sells student copies of xp for 12 bux.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yep, my school (Virginia Tech) gives XP Pro to students in many majors for free (downloaded from MS). The upgrade disc will not work. I'm pretty sure the upgrade disks are programmed to only work with legitimate verisions of XP.

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

To answer the original question, you're probably SOL on the OEM copy. Most computer stores have cracked down on selling OEM software, and will only do so with a new system, or at least two system components.

There's probably some sort of deal with the school though. I know when I was at Waterloo, they started giving free Windows XP and Visual studio licenses to students.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Most schools can offer deals on more than just the operating systems as well for students. The software manufacturers know that it is a good chance to hook young people on their stuff so schools usually get big price breaks.

Of course they claim they're doing it to support education but let's get real here. [​IMG]

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Echo the "check your son's school's computer store" sentiment. Many universities sell student priced software and if your son's school is on MS's list of license-agreement schools, it will be very, very cheap.

Hurry before he graduates and loses it, though.

And if you're interested in other software check out the store yourself. My university had licenses with Macromedia and Adobe and regularly sold software like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Pagemaker at about 25%-33% of MSRP (Pagemaker I think retails for $699 and you could get it for $269 if you were a student).

Obviously I mean that your *son* should be the one using the software, not you! [​IMG]

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    it is very likely that he loses it when he graduates, then he will be left with an illegal copy.

CJ

10. Ed Kerns

Ed Kerns Agent

Thank you all for the sage advice. My son attends Wayne State in Michigan. I'll be sure he checks out the school for discounted XP. I know there are several places on the net that offer oem copies of the software. Perhaps once bitten twice shy, but I'm a bit uneasy about about the legitimacy. Anybody have any insight on valid vendors? Thanks again.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hmm, not exactly sure that's the way it works. Only a student (or staff/faculty) can PURCHASE the software, but I don't think the license becomes useless once your affiliation with the university ends. Most of these software won't be tied to your student/staff/faculty ID so there's no way for MS or another company to know if you've left school.

A friend of mine's PC has WinXP which she bought her senior year at college, and she's now 2 years removed and she still gets XP updates (SP2).

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    so it looks like it depends on which license you are granted. a few years back, bought a copy of mathematica for students, and i was required to remove the software as soon as i ceased to be a student. it was strongly enforced, too, as a student copy of mathematica was $139, whereas a full professional version was about $2,000. you had to physically call and talk to a person to validate your software every time you installed it.

CJ

13. jeff.m

jeff.m Agent

if you want to buy an oem copy online just go to newegg.com. you'll have to buy 1 piece of hardware to make it legit, but they'll just sell you some $5 piece of hw you probably won't ever need. but i buy all my computer stuff from newegg. they rule. and stick with xp pro. don't get home edition.