1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Illegal to sell email information?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Apr 23, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Here's a question. I got a spam telling me to buy a CD with thousands of emails on it. Is it illegal to sell peoples information like this? And if it is, where can I report this idiot?

2. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I can't see any reason why it is illegal. Loads of unsuspecting people sign up for web sites every day and forget to uncheck those boxes at the bottom of the page. My understanding was that it is not considered private information and is publicly available, especially if the person has consented (even if passively consenting) to the information being released.

Jason

3. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Companies sell list of addresses to other companies all the time. It's how you end up with so much junk mail. I doubt it's illegal to do the same with e-mail addresses. Thus the check box, you can share this info with other companys... which is almost always checked by defualt on most online forms.

Brian

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If people are selling my email address, then where's my money!!?? [​IMG]

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I don't know about selling the info but sending unsolicited commercial email to residents of Washington State (where I live) is illegal unless you follow strict guidelines. You can be sued for $500 per message you send.