I'll wait to buy my next TV. Here's why....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lovekamp, Jan 9, 2003.

1. David Lovekamp

I think I am going to give some things time to pass before jumping into widescreen HDTV. I currently own a 36 inch Trinitron WEGA but its not HD compatible. Still, in 16:9 enhanced mode I get a very nice DVD picture. Things are improving at such a fast rate with HD sets that its hard to keep track. Every time I pick up a Perfect Vision or Sound and Vision magazine it seems there is a RPTV that is heralded as "the best ever". This months baby is a new offering from RCA, whom I didn't even consider in the past. The Hitachi XWX 57 was "the best RPTV ever reviewed" a month before that. Here Toshibas seem to be very popular and add to that the Diamond series Mitsubishi being the RPTV of the year in Perfect Vision AND the ever-lowering prices of the plasmas and it makes my head swim. LOL I've been looking at pictures so much I actually got in my car tonight and thought of my view out my windshield as a "crisp, clear picture". hahahaha You know you're looking at TVs and their image quality a little too much when you do that.[​IMG] The new DLP RP add yet another twist to this. I think I will let things progress before commiting $3-4000 of my money to one of these TVs and then getting pissed when I see one a few months later that blows away mine. My ideal TV would be this - a 60 inch plasma with not just acceptable black levels but great black levels. You can get a commercial issue 50 HD for under $6000 now so the day may be coming before TOO long. I yearn for that illusive "looking through a window" picture quality w/ HD signals. Who knows tho - I might just lose it once ESPN goes High def and splurge on a Hitachi or Mits! Its hard to wait when these are out there but I think it will be worth it.

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I was of the same mind not too long ago David, but ended up with a Hitachi 57SWX20B anyway. [​IMG] Why? I came to the conclusion that waiting for the ideal HDTV was a game similiar to waiting for the latest computer equipment. There's always going to be something better just over the horizon, with the cutting edge technology always just out of reach. So, I ended up buying now and am currently enjoying some great DVD viewing.

3. David Lovekamp

Tempt me some more Doug.[​IMG] Actually, if I buy one right now it would be that exact set. Too many great reviews and comments. Maybe I'll wait for the price to come down even more on it and keep my eye on future progress in the meantime, LOL[​IMG]

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I agree - no reason to wait. I debated, and ended up with the Pioneer 643HD5 from COstco for $2599. WOnderful 64" widescreen set that has great stretch modes and line doubler, very similar to the hardware used in the Elite TV's. Best bargain out there, I think. MSRP on the set is $5500.

Aaron

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There's nothing wrong with waiting!

I waited patiently before getting the 11HT that I have now and I don't regret it at all. I am set for HDef and HD-DVD and this unit should keep me happy for years to come.

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Waiting is a smart thing to do. Sets are getting better and cheaper all the time. You'll have this same problem whenever you buy a set.
    I suggest that you wait until the year 2098. The sets will be dazzling by then! [​IMG]
    Seriously, we're in an awkward transitional period right now that I hope is short-term (3-4 years), so waiting actually makes more sense now than it usually does, but you have to figure that time and life are racing by and every day is a day that can never be recovered. You can enjoy these days to their fullest or you can postpone your happiness indefinitely and hope you don't get hit by a truck next week without ever having a high-def, widescreen TV. (Yes, I am the master of rationalization.)
    Oh, another thing: Magazines are in the business of hyping product. Of course they're going to crow about a new set each issue! It's good for ad sales, and it sells magazines. Would you buy a magazine whose cover proclaimed, "Nothing new! Same old, same old!"
    [​IMG]
    Jan

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Here's my philosophy on buying technology-based stuff where advances are made frequently. Wait as long as you can wait. Don't buy until you really feel like you "need" it and can use and afford it. Once you've reached that point, buy a little more than what you feel you "need" to be happy and can comfortably afford. You should set a goal for what "that point" is so you don't get too wishy washy when the time comes.
    I do that when I buy computer equipment, and I also did that when I bought my digital camera, camcorder, etc. and the various a/v equipment over the years. I decided ahead of time what I could afford for most of these things and what level of quality I felt I would be happy w/ and then bought them when all the criteria are met.
    For example, when 2MPixel cameras first came out, I realized/decided that I should wait until a good, reasonably feature-full 2MPixel camera breaks the $400 barrier before I buy, and that's exactly what I did about 2-1/2 years ago for my Nikon CP800 w/ the aid of online deals. With my new HD RPTV, I decided about 3 years ago that I would wait until the prices for a pretty good small-to-mid-size set comes down to around $1.5K or so, and it has this year, so I bought the Panny 53", which is actually larger than I had expected even a year ago. I probably would be just as happy w/ the Panny 47" for $200 less.
    And at this point, I think I'll be quite happy w/ the Panny until plasma's or the like come down to the same $1.5K-2K level probably 5 years from now. At that point, I might need the upgrade for DVI in preparation for HD-DVD anyway. [​IMG] Some people might say why not just wait 3 more years and buy that 50" HD plasma display w/ more mature/established technology for $3K instead? Well, the final cost might be about the same, but then I'd have to wait an extra 3 years to enjoy a big screen HDTV at all. And then many "practical" people might say $1.5K is too much to spend on something that you'll replace in 5 years time. Well, like Jan says, life is too short and precious to throw 3-5 years away like that over what amounts to a small sum of $$$ in the grand scheme of things. If you decide it's time you can afford it and will be happy w/ it, then it's time to just do it.
    Now, time to get off the soap box... [​IMG]
    _Man_

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As good as the raster-compressed 16:9 image may look on that non-XBR/non-HS WEGA, 480p is better still (even on a 36-inch set). As Jan notes, we're not getting any younger. May as well enjoy the best of today's technology. The one truly solid case for waiting a bit, aside from prices dropping, is that latest gremlin: connectivity issues and digital copy protection.

9. David Lovekamp

The thing that opened my eyes a little bit was that the new Toshiba 57 inch TV has some crazy resolution that is the maximum that a HD signal will show. It currently costs $9000. Now, when the price on that comes down that would be a TV that would have the best possible rendering of the picture source that you could get. I imagine plasmas will get there too all the while prices plummet. I DO want to experience high-def now with a screen big enough for the "theater experience" and I'm really liking the UWX 57 Hitachi. Now, my only prob w/that set is that it supports DVI but NOT Firewire. Firewire is the only input that will accept HDVCR. That bothers me a bit because I like the opportunity to be able to record HD and play HD movies when I have the chance. Same thing applies to DVD-HD whenever it comes out. Any thoughts on this? Is there any way around this problem in the future? I know the XWX has both inputs but it costs much more.

10. David Lovekamp

LOL, you read my mind Jack![​IMG]

11. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

Copy protection uncertainty is only part of what is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a new set. That and waiting for relatively inexpensive, reliable, viable HD service in my area (Wash. DC). When Comcast gets their act totally together with HD, I'll be glad to march down and get myself a new HD set (although I hear the recent firmware upgrade to the new 5100 boxes fixed a lot of what was wrong). Also waiting for prices to drop. I was THIS close to getting a set this weekend with BestBuy's 10% off + 0% financing, delivered in time to watch the remaining NFL playoffs. I probably won't have as much restraint in late March with an HD NCAA Final Four looming (that is if CBS decides to grace my area with HD service).

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    David,
    I thought the current DVHS VCRs output HD in component video also. You shouldn't need firewire on the TV to play a DVHS tape, no? You only need firewire from the STB to record to the DVHS VCR. At least that's what I thought.
    As I said in another current thread, the recent agreement between cable companies and hardware makers suggests that firewire should only be necessary between the STB and the recording device. The TV itself only needs DVI, not firewire. And future recording devices will probably output in DVI also. Well, at least that's how a recent NY Times article interprets it.
    As for HD-DVD, well, that's far off yet. You'll probably be ready to upgrade your TV again by that time.
    If you're really concerned about obsolecense, then maybe you should consider getting a somewhat smaller set like 50" that'll cost you less, but still be substantially bigger than your 36". Just sit a little bit closer is all--maybe 1 ft closer. Besides, if you get a big set, you might have to sit way far away to tolerate crappy quality regular TV signals. [​IMG] Jan can tell you all about going smaller for better apparent quality. [​IMG] I actually wonder sometimes if I shouldn't have gone w/ a 47" instead of 53" when I watch a mediocre DVD, but then, this morning I finally got to see an HD image on my new TV, and hey, what was I thinking??? [​IMG]
    _Man_