What's new

"I'll get you, Butler!" - the ON THE BUSES trilogy is coming!! (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Rejoice!

After watching these three, you'll never look at British comedy the same way again - and that's a promise! August 4th just can't come quickly enough this year.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
They're three of the most innovative, groundbreaking and flat-out hilarious comedies ever made, and remain criminally underrated, even to this day. They can easily stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the best of Ealing's output, and feature such comic geniuses as Reg Varney and Stephen Lewis at their brightest and best. I'd definitely recommend a blind purchase to anyone and everyone who is R2 capable.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They can easily stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the best of Ealing's output
I hear the the Rumanians love them...in Tirana, Reg Varney is translated as 'Nivadyd Bjonk' & Stephen Lewis 'Arlgitu Buttler'. Anna Karen is to tour this fall. Wonderful sense of humour those Eastern Europeans.

The French are to present both Varney and Lewis with the Legion D'Honour and induct them into the Comedy Hall of Fame on Bastille Day.

;)

---
So many films, so little time...

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I noticed at least one blatant homage to On The Buses in Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ, and several sprinkled throughout Kieslowski's The Decalogue. The cultural and artistic impact of these films cannot be overstated.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I love these films, just as I love the Carry On films - there is something innocent in their vulgarity. I can remember even as a child being taken aback at what passes for sexy in the UK. The blonde bloke with the hook nose, receding hairline and teeth only a masochistic dentist could love was always pulling. And then there was Arfur and Olive. A bizarre time capsule which I'll certainly be putting my dosh down for.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I noticed at least one blatant homage to On The Buses in Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ,
You're referring to the famous deleted scene? The one where Christ, tempted by demons, dreams he escapes the cross by catching a Number 42 (the Kings Cross - clever reference that - to Clapham Common route)

Scorsese ended up scrapping it because he could only get a Guy; of course we all know that the correct make of bus should have been a Leyland Titan. And Stephen Lewis was unavailable at the time.

I'm unaware of The Decalogue reference however.

---

James Reader

Screenwriter
Joking aside - you were both Joking weren't you? The On The Buses films are important films in British Cinema.

They were phenomenally successful when first released. I believe that they were Hammers top grossing films of 1971, 1972 and 1973.

While a lot of British members on this forum may like to forget our sexist, racist, almost misogynistic sit-com past, the fact of the matter is "On the Buses" was one of many television sit-coms which are deeply embarrassing to us today - "Mind Your Language", "Bless This House" etc.

But they represent what was popular in Britain at the time and as such a company like Criterion could do far worse than acquire the rights to this trilogy and analyze not only the films, but the social and political climate of Britain at the time for context.

I'd buy such a release in a heartbeat.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All ITV, and not forgetting the truly cringe-inducing delights of Love Thy Neighbour; now try and name any comedy that plunged similar depths on the Beeb (at the time; I won't accept The Gnomes of Dulwich on the grounds that it was social satire wasn't it - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme is too new ;) ) - odd that, isn't it..?

---

James Reader

Screenwriter
It doesn't matter who made them John. The fact is that they were popular with the masses. (Interesting point about ITV though... I never noticed that).

I have no interest in seeing the films beyond a mild curiosity (It's been a few years since I've seen one) but I would absolutely be interested in some historical-social commentary.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It doesn't matter who made them John.
But it does; it's totally relevent to the 'social and political climate at the time'; the fact that ITV saw itself, positioned itself, so down-market. And the fact that their haf-hour comedies had to be tailored to one 15 minute(ending with a cliff-hanger and/or major plot point) segment, a break for the ads, then a 12 minute segment.

The Beeb had (still has) the luxury of 28 unbroken minutes, and therefore all their comedies flowed differently and weren't forced to come to the point quite as quickly.

Thick-eared 'knees-up' comedies were the territory of ITV; why did the commercial channel embrace that, and why didn't the Beeb join in?

Having said that my mother-in-law (80 bless her) still only watches ITV, and thinks the Beeb (begging Eastenders pardon)is for the middle classes. I think there lies the answer.

---

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Just in case anyone is purchasing these blind, be careful; they're among the most very worst British comedies from the 1970s - which is truly saying something!

They have achieved a kind of anti-cult status for being so unfeasibly appalling and low-brow (or should that be "no-brow"?) that they are held dear to the hearts of many British cineastes for entirely the wrong reasons.

Buy these at your own peril and please try not to watch them sober, if you can help it.

I find them a very odd experience, because the scripts and performances are so dreadful and laboured that the intended comic effect generally falls flat on its arse, but it's just SO bad, it somehow comes out the other side and starts being funny again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks