I'll get it someday....but not today.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by daniel b, Jun 16, 2005.

1. daniel b

daniel b Auditioning

Ok, things had been going relatively smooth recently, until my Tivo fried. It wasn't able to record hi-def so I went with the Comcast version of Tivo (Motorola DVR?).
    Now that I have this installed, I have to put my TV on Video 5. I noticed that my audio isn't the same when I'm on Video 5 as compared to just watching HDTV. Apparently I have digital audio via toslink on regular TV so I needed to hook up my DVR with digital audio and now they sound the same. The only problem is when I switch between the two, I have to change the audio input on my receiver from opt1 to opt2. Is there a way around this? Did I do something backwards? Should I just use the DVR only and forget about the rest? (the DVR doesn't have all the options like 'favorites' that I use a lot). I'm sure there's a way to do this. I appreciate your help....again!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Daniel,

The reason no one has responded is because your question is a confusing, jumbled mess that doesn’t make any sense. Please try again and explain everything very carefully and thoroughly, as if we are blind – which essentially we are, since we aren’t at your house to see how everything is (or was) connected.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. daniel b

daniel b Auditioning

And I thought it was pretty clear..
    Ok, let me try again. I have an optical cable running from my TV into my receiver. It goes into OPT1 on the receiver. Without it, I have no audio. I don't use my TV speakers.
    Now when I want to use the PVR, that's hooked up to the TV, and I need to change the input on the TV to Video5. I have another optical cable running from the DVR into my receiver on OPT2. My problem is that when I switch between the two (DVR and regular TV watching) I have to go to my receiver and change the audio input from OPT1 to OPT2 in the setup options. I was wondering if there was an easier way rather than having to switch back and forth?
    I'm sorry if I can't explain it any better. My knowledge and terminology is limited, or else I wouldn't be here asking for assistance. If you have any questions, fire away.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What kind of TV is this – make and model?

5. daniel b

daniel b Auditioning

It's the Sony KDF 50WE655.

Thanks!

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks for the info, Daniel. [​IMG]

I’ve looked at the on-line manual and I think we have a bit of confusion here:
    This is impossible, because the TV does not have an optical output.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. daniel b

daniel b Auditioning

If I again used the wrong term, it's the digital audio optical toslink running out the back of the TV into my receiver, just like my DVD also has one running from it into my receiver.

Input/Output connections 1 x HDMI - Rear, 1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Front, 1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Front, 2 x RF input (F connector) - Rear, 1 x SPDIF output (TOS Link) - Rear, 3 x Audio line-in (RCA phono x 2) - Rear, 1 x Audio line-out (RCA phono x 2) - Rear, 2 x Control S - Rear, 2 x Component video input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear, 3 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) - Rear, 3 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear

Thanks again!

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    All I saw in the manual was Video 1, 2 (the front one), 3, 4 with audio jacks, composite and S-video; Video 4, 5 with audio jacks and component video; an HDMI input with audio jacks. Maybe you can tell me the page of the manual that shows the optical output?

It might not matter - from what you describe it sounds like the problem is with the receiver, not the TV. I suggest checking its manual for a solution.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Marc LaPalme

Marc LaPalme Agent

from what i can understand is that your sounds channel would ahve to go from your dvr--->tv--->and back to your tv in order for you keep your receiver on opt1 and not have to switch between the two.

I looked online at the manual and wasn't clear enough to tell if your tv has a universal audio out. If your tv does in fact have an optical out which is fed the audio to which the tv is switched... than your good. If not, that would explain why your only getting audio from one source. Look over your manual. look at the televisions audio settings onscreen and see what is available for audio source assingment. chances are its a simple setting that's overlooked.

this is all assuming your dvr is connected to your tv audio wise. [​IMG]

hope this helps