What's new

i'll be in atlanta for the weekend, 1 free day what should i do? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I don't recommend anything inside the Perimeter (I-285), and stay away from downtown-it's downright dangerous. Keep your car doors locked at all times, and don't drive far, if you don't have to! Stay away from I-85 between Discover Mills and the Mall of Georgia-paving project for the next 15 weeks will have most lanes closed. Your best bet is to stay up in the Marietta area-former General Cinema-now AMC Parkway Pointe-stadium seating.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I don't think its that bad Jeff. You sound like an Atlanta-phobe... are you one of those folks who's scared of riding MARTA? ;)
I've lived in some pretty crummy places (on Memorial Drive, down near Hartsfield airport, and right downtown at Ga. Tech) and the only problems I ever had were valuables being stolen from a car, and that only at night.
Even Techwood projects weren't that bad (before they built the GSU dorm and bulldozed a bunch of them). I used to walk from Tech through them to get to the main Atlanta library.
BTW, the signs seem to indicate that they are not paving this weekend near Discovery Mills, and resuming May 31st.
(I am glad I live in a rather nice neighborhood near Mall of Georgia now though!)
Speaking of downtown, there is always the free "On the Bricks" concerts this summer down at Centenial Park.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
does anybody happen know of a dealer for revel speakers in atlanta. there supposedly is one in alpharetta (avi, inc. 1115 alpha dr) but i can't find the number for it. i'll be in hotlanta june 1-4. of course, this won't be my first time and definitely won't be my last either.

kevin t

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Keven - Go to the site listed in my sig and ask (lots of ATL HT nuts and lots of dealers/distributors). I'm sure someone will know the name/phone/address.

Tony, I think when you said "open-air" you were referring to the Fox? It just looks that way in the pic, the ceiling is actually an elaborate painting. Even if you just take the tour, its worth it.

Jeff, I don't know where you heard that, but its simply not true. There's not really any spot that is unsafe during the day in ATL. At night, downtown pretty much closes, so there isn't much to do there anyway. Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia Highlands, and Vinings are all very safe after dark. The only areas I would stay away from at night are south of I-20 and west atlanta. Its really a pretty safe city.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i didn't spemd much time inside atlanta. i was actually in marrietta.
we drove past the georgia dome.

we did see the big chicken, we went to a braves game.
and took a lot of picks in the lot were the origional fulton stadium used to be.

that is very neat because they still have the entire field set up in the parking lot. and have a piece of the fence standing were aaron's 715th home run landed.

we spent alot of time riding around the suburbs just site seeing.

we noticed 2 all you can eat mongolian resteraunts right across the street from each other.
didnt eat there. i dont think there is 1 at all here in philly, i could be wrong.

thats a very beautiful area.

first time i ever saw magnolia trees.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
we noticed 2 all you can eat mongolian resteraunts right across the street from each other.
We have a lot, but they are actually closer to Chinese cuisine. "Mongolian Barbeque" means you get to pick the meat, veggies, and sauce, and then they cook it on a skillet. Very popular.

Glad you got to see the big chicken. The sickening eye roll has to be seen to be believed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks