i'll be in atlanta for the weekend, 1 free day what should i do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyD, May 22, 2002.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    my wife's son graduates high school so we will go down for the weekend. we will have sunday free. so what do you do in atlanta for 1 day on a sunday.

he lives in marietta but tyhats really close to atlanta.

is there a high qhailty movie theater there i could check out?

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

If you want to meet some athletes you could go to the Gold Club. [​IMG]

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

For some reason or another my visit to the Coca-Cola Factory in Underground Atlanta is very memorable. Probably was all the free coke and international brands too.

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I second the Coca Cola World.

5. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

You absolutely MUST eat at Housons in Windy Hill!!!

Best prime rib I ever had...

Chris

6. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Truthfully, there isn't a lot to do in Atlanta considering it's supposed to be a big city. What sort of things do you like to do? Whatever you do you'll need a car.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Gold Club is no more.

The Reds are in town to play the Braves (Griffey Jr might actually be in the line-up).

There's an IMAX theater at the Mall of Georgia - but it's far away from Marietta.

There's always Stone Mountain.

How about Six Flags over Georgia?

8. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Are you talking about this weekend, or an upcoming one? If you are coming down in June then a visit to the Fox Theater might be in order. Its a restored 1929 movie palace. However their summer movies don't start till June 11. Currently they are playing "Veggietales Live", with the next feature being an opera of "The Fisher King". (blah!) Unfortunately tours are not held on Sundays.
    There is also an IMAX theater at the Fernbank Museum, which is also near the same area. It is currently showing "Kilimanjaro" and "Majestic White Horses". I think both of these are documentary style films, each lasting an hour.
    Fernbank itself is interesting. Its not nearly in the same class as the bigger natural history museums, but it does have an exhibits of Giganotosaurus on display (largest carnisaur).
    To get there, go south on I-75 till you get to North Avenue (Georgia Tech's exit). Turn left and get a chili dog at the The Varsity. Continue down North Avenue and turn left on Peachtree, and then right onto Ponce de Leon and it will take out out toward the museum. (follow signs).
    --
    If you like Civil War history, then I recommend a visit to the Cyclorama. Its adjacent to the Zoo. Stone Mountain also is recommended if you like hiking and civil war history.
    --
    As others have said, the World of Coca Cola Museum is a nice place to visit as well.
    Were you driving to Atlanta or flying? Probably one of the best places to go near Atlanta isn't here, but in neighboring Chatanooga. (1.5 hour drive via I-75 north from Marietta). There you can visit the Tennessee Aquarium.

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Eat at the Big Chicken!
    http://www.bigchicken.com
    Its in Marietta, and you should at least drive by it. Stone Mountain is fun (do the walkup trail), I'd avoid the world of Coke. CNN center is ok, MLK Jr Historic site is nice, don't go to SciTrek. And the Fabulous Fox Theater downtown is awesome (http://www.foxtheatre.org/). They screen movies every once in a while.
    The best movie theaters are the IMAX in the Mall of Georgia (about 20 miles north on I-85), which is a pretty giant mall; they show feature films on it (which should be Spiderman or AOTC when you get there). My other new fave is the Southlake 24 near Morrow; it has a whole space theme and reference bass.

10. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Isn't there a statue of a knight fighting a dragon somewhere in Marrietta?

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'll be the third to recommend Stone Mountain. My cousin lives in Marietta and I went down there to visit about 5 years ago. Not much was memorable about my time there (they didn't open Turner Field by that point and it seemed like all there were was malls). But Stone Mountain was a great 3+ hours. Go to the top and the view is breathtaking and not many people know the same guy who did the sculpture is the same guy who did Rushmore. Also, the Stone Mountain sculpture is actually bigger in size than the one at Rushmore. It's very impressive.

12. Matt Stryker

Also, if you're into WWII aviation, there is a beautiful B-29 (maybe a B-50, too similar to tell) on display at the intersection of US 41 (Cobb Pkwy) and Delk Rd, next to Dobbins AFB. Close to Marietta, and worth a drive by.

13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    thanks lots of interesting ideas.

i'll be there this weekend.

14. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    o i forgot..whats the big chicken?

and is there a good non imax, non open air movie theater i should look for.

15. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Its a B-29. Its not in perfect shape on the interior, but the outside looks nice.
    And the only flying B-29, named "Fifi", will be coming to Atlanta May 27-June 2.
    A flying B-17 was here in early may taking bombing runs right over my house every day. [​IMG]

16. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The Big Chicken is a KFC restraunt (Kentucky Fried Chicken) with a huge sign shaped like a rooster outside. I believe it even is mechanized so that its beak moves.
    Its used as a local landmark for directions, but I wouldn't think it as an actual "destination" to visit. [​IMG] Click on the link and you'll see a picture of it.
    There are a number of theaters up in the Marietta area. The only one I'm familiar with up there is the AMC at Barrett Commons, which is just off I-75 near the Town Center Mall and US Play.
    One more thing came to mind. If you are a big "Gone with the Wind" fan, you might want to visit the Margaret Mitchell House.

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Funny, I am going there this week end also for the first time.

--
    Holadem

18. Matt Stryker

Danny, I checked the site. Where can I see "Fifi" when she comes to Atlanta?

Tony, other than the IMAX and the FOX, most theaters are nothing special. Even the art-house ones aren't too special.

19. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Your guess is as good as mine on that one Matt. I would bet that the AJC will have some info in the weekend edition about it.

20. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

The B-29, and some other historic planes will be at Peachtree-DeKalb airport. The easiest way to get there is to take the Clairmont Road exit off I-85, turn R if southbound, L if northbound, and go straight until you see the airport on your right.

The Fox theater is indeed worth seeing, but they rarely show movies anymore - there is a summer film festival, but I don't know the schedule.

Stone Mountain is interesting, too, though they've been adding "attractions." I haven't been there in years - take I-285 to the Stone Mountain/US 78 exit.

The King Center on Auburn Avenue downtown might interest you. I think they have an exhibition of lynching pictures from the not-so-distant past.