What's new

iLife '08: Impressions & Discussion (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Craig,

Thanks!

I had a real blast editing my recent Grand Canyon video within
iMovie 06. The next project I'll try with iMovie 08,
but quite frankly I'm a little apprehensive about using it because
I'm thinking it's gonna be a hurdle of a learning curve.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron,
I think you'll find iMovie 08 easier. Watch the Apple Tutorials before you start (video tutorials in the iLife section of Apple.com). In broad terms, it's less precise but more intuitive. I've made about 10 5-min videos with it, and it's a nice little tool. The video adjustment features are a significant upgrade: color, brightness, contrast, and rotate and zoom! I can take my poorly lit, 640x480 videos and pump up the saturation and brightness, then zoom in a bit to better frame the scene, and it significantly improves my final result.

But note: iMovie 08 still doesn't have DVD Chapter markers. If you plan to use iDVD and want DVD chapters at specific locations, stay with 06. Were it not for that, I'd recommend 08 over 06 without reservation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I take it Apple is aware of the problems and will most likely
update iMovie '08 with DVD chapters?

I tell yuh, the things I really love about Mac OSX and Apple
is that you never have to worry about updates for all these
individual programs. A simple "check for updates" click
tells you instantly what programs need updates and automatically
downloads them for you.

Love my Mac!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They know it, but who knows if they care ;) When iLife 08 was announced, Steve Jobs seemed to convey an attitude of "DVD is old and busted; welcome to the new hotness of YouTube and online video."

For what it's worth, I submitted an Apple feedback letter requesting several updates to iMovie 08, including DVD chapters. 08 is good, but it's clearly first-version and needs further scrubbing and improvements. This first update is encouraging; it gives some important new features.

And I too really like the software update. But I'm always too impatient for it to happen automatically and I grab it manually :D

Of course, this week as I'm working on my "Should you buy a Mac" presentation, I had a Kernel Panic (lockup and reboot) and then a serious Keynote crash (lockup and reboot). Oh well, computers are still computers.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
One iLife app was missing from yesterday's updates. iWeb got its update today (Apple's really cranking 'em out today).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks