"Ikarie XB 1" aka "Voyage to the End of the Universe" (1963, Czechoslovakia)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/index.html (scroll down to the fourth paragraph)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122111/

Savant: "At the Cinematheque last week I got to see a long wished-for movie, the 1963 Czech IKARIE XB-1, which I saw and loved at age 11 as VOYAGE TO THE END OF THE UNIVERSE. MGM had only one unscreenable print and no negative for the AIP dubbed version so it is probably near to being a lost film now. Besides being in Czech and subtitled, the original movie is a couple reels longer and its story entirely changed around."

Is Savant saying that he saw the original, uncut version of this film in Czech with English subtitles?!!! [​IMG]

I have read about this film many times over the years and have long wished to see any version of it. This film BADLY needs to be released on DVD - perhaps from Criterion.

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I was a little confused also, Gordon.
    But while Savant bemoans IKARIE XB 1 as a lost film, this is the first I have read that the Chez Republic had a traveling exhibit of a restored print-thought supposedly only 84 mins in length, according to iMdb comments.
    One person suggested that the film originally ran 107-110 mins long.

Another controversy 'ala FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS, which I would also like to see a restored, 16x9 DVD of.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It is pretty clear to me that he's saying that the cut, dubbed version he saw when he was a kid is lost, and what he saw recently is the original with english subtitles.

Course, you could always write him and ask. [​IMG]

Jason

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I have learned that the film was indeed restored by the Czech company who originally produced the film, Filmové Studio Barrandov.

I really hope that we see a DVD release in the near future.