What's new

IIS Question.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
My server has Windows NT 4.0. Eventually, it's going to be upgraded, in order to better protect it, but what should I upgrade it too? What's the latest version of the IIS Software?

Hopefully it didn't sound too stupid a question, but I havn't gotten around to looking at the Windows Product page y et :). And I'm not sure what they have available..

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are you going to upgrade the OS or just IIS? IIS is on 6.0 right now, I think. If you're asking about OS, either XP Pro or Server 2003 will work for you.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Question about this new information.

Can I upgrade IIS 4 to 6, without re-installing all the websites that are already setup?

Have to do some research about Server 2003.

I alreaday have Windows XP Pro. I saw that it included a version of IIS when installing our network, but I couldn't figure out how to access it as it didn't have a start menu icon like the Windows NT 4 version had..

Chris

Senior HTF Member
XP Pro actually includes a limited IIS called PWS (Personal Web Server) which limits out most of the big functions of IIS, so I wouldn't consider it that valid to go to.

To upgrade IIS, you have to upgrade Windows, and you are better off with IIS6 then IIS4 for multiple reasons, outside of functionality. IIS6 offers quite a bit more in terms of what it offers you as a webhost.. from better host header negotiations to executable branching and useage pools, etc.

It's not quite Apache, but it's good ;)

(I say this and most of our servers run 2k3)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, so much for installing IIS6 on NT4. Now...question. Can I load Windows XP on the machine, and then download IIS 6, or won't it work that way?

Unfortunatly, the buisness only makes $40's a month at the moment with three customers, so we can't afford Server 2003 at the moment :frowning:..

Chris

Senior HTF Member
No. You can't load XP. XP will not upgrade NT4 Server (though it kinda can for NT4 WS, but there is some trickery) and PWS, which is what XP uses, will only support 1 website.

You could, as an alternative, load up Linux and run Apache if you need to go cheap :)

Or, you can run XP and run Apache :)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Fedora Core 3, Apache, there's my recommendation. Get also apt-get (& synaptic) and updating is rather easy.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If Linux makes you nervous, then just do as mentioned above. Reformat, load XP Pro, download Apache.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
The versions of IIS are pretty much tied to the OS. (i.e. IIS4 = NT 4.0, IIS5 = Win2K, IIS6 = Win2K3) You can't really mix and match. The only upgrade path from NT 4.0 Server is to Win2K server (and possibly Win2K3 server) but I'd highly recommend backing up your web data and just re-installing the new OS if you're going to do that ....

Bryan

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I use to use IIS but switched over to Apache and haven't looked back. If you can't get 2003 Server just run Apache on XP Pro.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
The versions of IIS are pretty much tied to the OS. (i.e. IIS4 = NT 4.0, IIS5 = Win2K, IIS6 = Win2K3) You can't really mix and match. The only upgrade path from NT 4.0 Server is to Win2K server (and possibly Win2K3 server) but I'd highly recommend backing up your web data and just re-installing the new OS if you're going to do that ....
>>

Yep, we always backup our data. Just spent a few hours doing just that, downloading all the data off the server onto a DVD disc..

Maby I can make some dough at our upcoming April garage sale and make some money towards SErver 2k3....Either that or check out Apache...

DaveNel

Second Unit
I wouldnt push server 2003, Its to new of a system and this comes alot of bugs in it. Wait till the upgraded version comes out. Windows XP would be a better choice either home or pro version.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, I downloaded Server 2K3 Trial Ware. I'll load it on my spare hard drive down the Jersey Shore and check it out.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
been playing with 2k3 in the last week myself, it's obnoxious to work with. It's difficult to do anything as windows is determined that it knows what's best.

I personnaly us apache (xampp), it installs easy, it works like it's supposed to and there's a lt of good help out there on the web for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks