What's new

IINA.io a new Mac Video Player and QuickTime Player Replacement (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FYI, there's a new open source macOS video player meant to be a modern, fully featured app to replace the neutered QuickTime Player. At a quick try, I like it. I've set it as my default to see how it goes.

https://iina.io

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If nothing else, their website looks good. Apart from an obviously better UI how does it compare to VLC?

I’ll try it, if no other reason, there is one major bug in VLS - can’t play smoothly remote .ts files. (Neither can QuickTime). InfusePro works fine, but is iOS/AppleTV only - no macOS app.

For anyone wondering what a .ts file is: some channels on TiVO (NBC) are .ts instead of .mpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t use VLC on the Mac. Compared to the Windows version, IINA is svelte and Mac-like.

For TiVo files, I transcode in handbrake anything downloaded from my TiVo to my media PC. MPEG2 doesnt play natively by hardware acceleration on the AppleTV. But h264 does, and the files are smaller, even with marginal compression used. They just work so much better for me.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I discovered last week that I could tether my iPhone to my MacBook Pro with a lightning cable, launch QuickTime, and display my iPhone’s screen on my Mac. I was then able to present my desktop on Skype and teach a class to technicians in other states on how to use our company’s new iPhone app for managing customer service calls. Saved me $15 since I would have otherwise had to purchase a piece of software to accomplish what my Mac can do natively for free. Point being, even though it’s old and other, better options for video playback exist, I hope  doesn’t complete sunset QuickTime. It turned out to be an incredibly useful tool for me.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Dave, thank you! IINA is a breakthrough for me: not only does it play .ts files remotely absolutely smoothly, it plays my old EyeTV files directly, no need to show package contents.
Finally, I can look at all my native TV recordings from my MacBook Pro without copying any of them over, etc.

IINA still hasn't quite figured out DVD/.dvdmedia files (going to the Menu screen, or clicking Play on the Menu screen), so I can't get rid of VLC altogether, but considering this is IINA's 1.01 version, I suspect they will leave VLC in the dust sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks