What's new

IGood 5.1 audio on PS4 and TV, but cable box (receiver) blocking audio output (idk why) (1 Viewer)

Ketchup

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolas
Hi everbody. I'm new to this world, and I bought recently a Sony RT3 (5.1). As a newcomer, I liked to start with a "basic" 5.1 system. I wanted a real surround system.

After studying all options available in my country, I decided to give a try to that system (i's old, but a good budget option).

Once installed, I loved when i realized that my TV (LG Smart TV 2019) can stream audio to it via bluetooth (official reviews in amazon said it cannot). however, the audio only came in 2.1, so I used a HDMI ARC to connect.

Everything ok, wonderfu sound with my PS4 (slim), and everything was going ok. BUT, when I connected my TV Cable to my TV, and turn TV on, sound was ok for 10 seconds, but then stopped from working (no sound at all, included PS4).

I unplugged the TV cable box from TV, and sound came back by magic. I connect my cable box, and again no sound.

Basically this is the sequence:

- PS4 to TV by HDMI
- HDMI ARC from TV to HT
- TV cable box unplugged
- Sound great

Then

- While TV on, plugged HDMI TV cable box to TV
- Sound good
- Turn off TV
- Turn on TV
- Sound from TV in HT is great, 10 secs after, no sound at all
- PS4: no sound, Cable TV: no sound.
- Unplug Cable box: sound come back

I don't know why this happens. I can live with this troubles, as I enjoy to use my HT for gaming and Netflix, and I unplug the Cable box to enjoy it. But i wonder why this weird thing happen, and if anybody knows, a possible solution.

I read once that some tv cable receivers have a "thing" that blocks the ARC channel from TV.

A pic of the tv cable box back https://img.yapo.cl/images/78/7893034634.jpg

Thank you everyone

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Connect everything to the receiver, then to the TV. Not to the TV, then to the receiver. You'll still need to use the ARC connection to get audio from streaming on your TV back to the receiver. It sounds like an hdmi handshake issue, which should be less likely connecting things correctly.

Ketchup

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolas
Thank you for your answer, but idk if I understood well:

Now my set up is like this:

TV - cable box: HDMI
TV - PS4: HDMI
TV - HT: HDMI(ARC)

Please correct me if im wrong, but you are saying this:

1.- Unplug everything:
2.- Connect ARC to receiver (Home Theater)
3.- Connect PS4 to TV
4.- Connect cable to TV

Is that it? Because only thing connnected to receiver is TV (ps4 and cable box are connected to TV). As I said, when I plug the HDMI from cable box to TV, sound ends

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Exactly the opposite. The receiver (Sony RT3) is the control center of the system. So, connect everything to it and then just have one HDMI connected from it’s output to the TV’s ARC input.

DImitri001

Grip
Real Name
Jim
Hmmmm.... strange problem.... have you checked the audio or speaker settings in the TV menu ? I'm just guessing but perhaps when you connect the cable box the TV automatically switches to using the TV speakers and cuts the output to the Sony Receiver ? If you have the volume from the TV speakers set to zero or mute you won't hear any sound.

Ketchup

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolas
Yes I've checked all configurations. It's funny how the audio and the HT works just fine as i have the HDMI from de the cable Tv box disconnected.

When I connect the box via HDMI to TV, audio still ok, but as soon as turn the TV off, and on again, the sound works fine for 10 seconds, and then mutes.

I'm sure this is related to the cable box, idk why, i set the TV audio output to ARC, but when this issue happens, there is no way to listen any sound via ARC, included PS4.

First thing i've checked was speaker volume, or muted, and no, everyting is ok. This is making me nuts!!

Somewhere i read that that some tv cable boxes have a "thing" (config, or software issue) that blocks the ARC channel from TV. I checked the config in the cable box (audio output) and is ok, is a cable company software, so is very limited. The issue that bothers me is that when this box is disconnected everything works so fine

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ketchup

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolas
I had to look it up. The Sony RT3 is a sound bar, not a receiver.

I thought that was a HT as Sony advertises as "5.1 Home Theater System"

Here is what i found in an LG official technical support webpage (translated):

"We have detected that some ISP cable receivers (Vodafone, Orange, etc) causas a blocking in ARC output. Inmediate symptom is that periferal devide stops sound when ARC ouput is selected
The EDID data is managed by a integrated memory in electronic devices board. Receivers software errors or later uptades can affect this memory, generating all kind of malfunctions, included audio errors. We have detected a lot of top boxes generate errors in these integrated memories in TVs chipsets, causing this interruption in audio"

Here is the original source (in spanish) http://olsatec.es/?p=628

I've tried to do more research, but I couldn't find anymore. I will try to contact my ISP (which provides me also tv cable) for a new top box, but any advice is welcome

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can connect the optical audio output to the matching input on your soundbar. That should eliminate the problem, but you might only get a 2 channel signal, instead of 5.1. I think most LG TVs pass 5.1 through the optical output, but need the model # to find out. Or you could try it.

Ketchup

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicolas
After some research, a lot of people had the same issue with similar systems.

Thing is related with pin 13 in HDMI, which manages and transmit the CEC. I mean, the problem is the top box, because makes interference of some kind with all other display, especially with the ARC output.

Thing is, that this is very common with Arris topbox (precisely the one I have).

Solution can be the use of a LINDY 41232 Less CEC adapter, witch can be plugged between HDMI cable and TV. After some research about it the deliver to Chile is very expensive, so i thought in placing a very little piece of electrical tape in the 13 pin, blocking the contact between HDMI cable and TV, just to try my luck.

AND THAT WAS IT! Sound came back normally, I can turn off the TV and on again, and audio doesn't stops. Now PS4 works with Dolby 5.1, and my cable top box with 2.1 (it doesn't output 5.1), and the best thing is that my LG Magic Remote works with TV, cable box and audio system.

So, that was it. I really wanted to thank you about your advices, because thanks to it i was able to eliminate options, until i found out the solution.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One option might be to turn CEC off on everything. It doesn't sound like you're using that feature anyway. At least, it costs nothing to try.

I was kind of wondering if it was a problem with CEC. You found a good solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks