IGN's Top 100

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, May 9, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

So, what did everyone think of it? I personally found it to be a pretty bad list with some illogical choices and it's obvious that they didn't put much thought into it.

It seemed that for the most part, they were choosing the landmark innovative games that defined genres. I suppose that's fine, but I'd rather have the best overall games on my list rather than retro games that used to be good. Games should get better with time, so there should only be a small number of older games that could crack the top 100 today.

For example, I'll gladly take Klonoa with its better graphics, music, and play mechanics over Super Mario Bros. Street Fighter 2 was so perfectly balanced that it deserves a high spot, but is it really better than a fighting game of today such as GGXX? Starfox with its clunky control, poor collision detection, and limited gameplay over games like Rez and Panzer Dragoon Orta? Starfox wasn't even all that hot when it came out, much less now. They saw fit to include Galaga, at the expense of leaving out Bangaio and Radiant Silvergun. Is there really even any competition there? Rayman 2 and Mario 64 ought to have their places reversed. Play them side by side and its no trouble to discern the better game.

Now, that is just my philosphy when ranking games: the better games should be ranked higher regardless of when they were released. However, if one were to make a list using the other philosophy, who in their right mind would include Final Fantasy X over Final Fantasy 7 (or Xenogears!) ? That borders on blasphemy. Also, why not toss in Steel Battalion since it's pretty innovative?

It seems like this list is very Nintendo-centric, else how could Zelda LTTP be ranked far above the superior Secret of Mana?

I'd say the biggest snub definately goes to Guardian Heroes though. Guardian Heroes is the perfect example of a game that's top 10 of all time material. It's an older game but the graphics are still charming, great control, infinite replay value, great multiplayer, and most importantly, later games in it's genre still have not surpassed it. In fact, nothing has even really come close.

Also sad to see River City Ransom left off since it was one of the few NES games that deserved it.

Sorry, just had to rant after seeing that list exclude the more deserving games just to be trendy and throw some retro games in.

2. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

That's the trouble with the list of the greatest (or worst) of anything, you're always going to disagree with some of it. Kind of makes these things a bit pointless.

3. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Part of being great is withstanding the test of time, and in this area Nintendo is in a class of its own.

I think they were correct in awarding innovative, groundbreaking titles rather than superior 2nd generation efforts. When nintendo made Mario 64 no one knew if it could be done. There was no road map or starting point. That makes it exponentially harder.

If I may go off on a tangent, consider the creation of the atomic bomb. When the US first did it no one new if it could be done. After it was proven to be a workable concept other nations were able to duplicate the work quickly. Now I am not saying the A-bomb was a great boon to mankind or anything but from a technical standpoint it was a breathtaking achievement.

Mark

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I know what games I like, whether everyone else likes them or not. I can think of probably 5 or so games that I'd put on my personal list that nobody else would even think of.

Then again, I don't play PC games (due to my crap PC and lack of real interest/time to do so), so a bunch of the games on their list wouldn't even have a chance at being on mine.

I'm happy Conker is on there, though.

The one thing that I really liked about EGM's top 100 list from a few years ago is that they said it was the list of the top 100 games they would want with them if they were stuck on a desert island for all eternity. It wasn't about whether the games looked good or played good, but that the editors would want to actually play them so much because they're so fun.

5. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I personally find FFX better than 7, if that helps. 7 was good, but I find X to have the potential to have a lot more to do, and the story is told with prettier CGs.

8. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I think the list is just OK. A few games(Devil may cry, FF7, perfect dark, xenogears) didn't get picked, FF7 should of got in no doubt. But I disagree with your logic James. Owning a SNES and N64 during there prime, I can tell you I probably played those MUCH more than todays systems during there first couple of years. I've invested I say 5 times the hours into 007 than Halo. When Mario World came out, I don't want to admit how much I played that. Compare that to today, where a pretty big minority group say that "gems" like Metroid Prime,Zelda, and GTA 3 bore them to death. Without 007 to break FPS's on consoles, who says halo would even exist?(007 also had vehicles). Or when I first played Star Fox, it felt like nothing I've ever expirienced before. It's hard to say that now, even something new like ratchet and clank, people will say it still isn't different enough from mario 64. It is titled the "top 100 games of all time" after all. Anyways, in order for a site to produce a list that is more accurate, a top 300 would be needed.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Actually, Turok was the first FPS for the N64.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In that case, I'd agree. But Turok, when it came out, was a pretty good single player game. More or less, GoldenEye's movie license (a good movie-based game) and multiplayer mode are what made it popular.

12. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I dunno about that Morgan, there is a reason Goldeneye kept selling and selling years after it came out. The graphics were incredible(from explosions to death animations to breakable backgrounds), the sound and music was great, the controls really worked well, and of course the level design was really top notch, and the AI on 00 agent mode was as advanced as a console could get. It also had an amazing split screen mode to go along with it, but that isn't the only reason it was a hit.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Turok, if you look at it nowadays, had just about everything GoldenEye had except the movie license and multiplayer. The graphics were great, the game was fun, the levels were well designed, and the control (for the style it was) was great. Overall, I'd say GoldenEye is better due to the way the levels were setup (with each being a separate mission).

14. MattSG

MattSG Agent

where can I see the list? Do I need an insider account?

15. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

16. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Well if nothing else I would say the list was designed to provoke discussion, and it certainly has done that. I think James' point is a good one, though--there is a difference between the 100 most important games of all time--that's where I would put all of the innovators and ground-breakers, and the 100 most fun games (the "deserted isle" list, if you will). I find those lists to be more fun to read than just a generic "Top 100" list, but at any rate the list got people talking and debating videogames past and present, and like I said that's pretty much all it was designed to do. [​IMG]

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Their list isn't too bad, props for putting Tetris in the top 10. That game is almost part of the background of gaming, I wouldn't have remembered to include it but it belongs there.

Certainly are some titles that are noticably absent for me: Myst, Wasteland (PC), Panzer Dragoon Zwei? But you can't make an omelete without breaking some eggs, so some titles had to be cut. Also, the placement of titles never satisfies anyone, including me. Star Wars arcade outranking Halo and Counter Strike, huh?!?

I think I'll make my pwn list called "100 games that no one will ever agree on". Who could argue with a list like that?

EDIT: Oh yeah, the biggie -- The Bard's Tale not in top 100?!?!?!?

18. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Overall, I think the list is pretty good. Much like MTV's Greatest Video Countdown they have every now and then: Dire Strait's "Money for Nothin'" seems ridiculous now, but it ruled back in the day. I think "Best" has to be interpreted as "Best at the Time of Production", otherwise older games will never receive the praise they deserve.

Is it fair to compare Babe Ruth to modern day sluggers with juiced balls and smaller ball parks? I don't think so. Is it fair to compare the NES games of 1985 with the technology, money, and staff of developers today? Again, I don't think so.

Given the tools that developers had, along with the market conditions at the time, these games were the cream of the crop. Otherwise, the "Best" games of all time will always have been published within the 2-3 years previous of the survey. In 10 years, Halo and Metroid Prime will look absolutely foolish, but they are still fantastic by any yardstick.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I, for one, think any game list without Shadowgate for NES and Amplitude and Frequency is wrong. But this isn't my list, it's IGN's.

20. Scott L

Scott L Producer

That list is great, I'm glad the Marios Bros. games were placed so high. It's hard for me to remember when I had that much fun playing a videogame.

[​IMG]