What's new

Ignorance and Separates... (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
... describe me.
Pre/Pro?
Obviously a system of components will require an Amp, a Pre/Amp, and Tuner.
Currently I'm looking at the 898 from Onkyo... essentially all the toys and wheels but I don't think it has Prologic II. It is THX Select 7.1 certified.
Powering a Klipsch system of RF3-II's including 2 Towers and 4 Surround speakers (two on sides and two at the rear working in series for 6.1 as a center, if I were to go 6.1 instead of 7.1). Sub is Paradigm, 12".
What is necessary to obtain a comparable setup for an AVR in Separates? Is pricing and performance going to end up working out to be near the same?
It seems to me that the obvious is to purchase an amplifier with the output you will need for years to come (in my case, I'm looking for 100 x 7 at 8 ohm), and upgrade the peripheral components as technology insists.
My apologies for the newbieness of the question. A detailed search of threads didn't bring up any answers that really helped. :frowning:

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Currently I'm looking at the 898 from Onkyo... essentially all the toys and wheels but I don't think it has Prologic II. It is THX Select 7.1 certified."

Nice receiver.... as far as receivers go. It most definately does have DPLII.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Steve: Based on my experince, you will probably have to pay a lot more for separate components especilly if you want power output equivalant to the Onkyo. However,I'm not sure you would get better audible performance from separates. I've owned a number of "high end" electronics (Adcom, Classe, Musical Fidelity, etc.)over the years as well as an inexpensive Pioneer receiver and must admit I have been unable to detect any difference in the "sound" of these components when I have compared them in my main 2 channel system.

If it were me, I'd go with the Onkyo. Good luck. Bob

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Steve,
You could definitely use an Onkyo receiver as a Pre/Pro and be very satisfied with the results using an external/separate amp. Whether you need to go as expensive as a 898 is really up to you. Functionality. I have yet to hear a receiver in any price range sound as good as a separate package. That even includes using a receiver as a Pre/Pro. Hands down, adding a separate amp will improve your experience. The one thing that I have found great about separates is you can find great deals online through the used sites like www.audiogon.com on nearly perfect equipment. So, if you know what you're after, you can get away with alomst like dollars for a VERY nice separate package. I have purchased several pieces there and have been nothing but extremely happy, most times paying 30-40% of retail on 1-2 year old equipment. Good luck.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Great stuff... thanks for the help... I'm bookmarking this thread to assist the ignorant. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks