Ignition switch problem on 1990 Accord

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Karl_Luph, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Looks like the ignition switch is messed up. Tried starting the car and noticed the key seemed to turn forward alittle too far and got stuck. I could take the key out with the engine running at this time but couldn't turn the key backwards unless I joggled it around . I have a feeling the tumbler has come loose or the lock cylinder retaining screw broke or came lose.The bad part about is I can still drive it but every time I push in the clutch it sounds like the starter gear comes in contact with the flywheel. Needless to say, the less I drive it like this the better. Anybody else had a similar problem with their Honda?

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    It's fairly common. Unfortunately, you will have to change the whole lock housing. You can't change just the tumbler. It will range from $115-$190 for the part. If you decide to change this yourself PM me, I can fax you instructions.

3. Karl_Luph

Thanks Zen, I emailed you the fax #. I appreciate your help.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

5. Karl_Luph

If I got one from the junkyard I'd still have to get the thing rekeyed . Probably will have to do that to a new too, I suppose.