What's new

Ignition switch problem on 1990 Accord (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Looks like the ignition switch is messed up. Tried starting the car and noticed the key seemed to turn forward alittle too far and got stuck. I could take the key out with the engine running at this time but couldn't turn the key backwards unless I joggled it around . I have a feeling the tumbler has come loose or the lock cylinder retaining screw broke or came lose.The bad part about is I can still drive it but every time I push in the clutch it sounds like the starter gear comes in contact with the flywheel. Needless to say, the less I drive it like this the better. Anybody else had a similar problem with their Honda?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
It's fairly common. Unfortunately, you will have to change the whole lock housing. You can't change just the tumbler. It will range from $115-$190 for the part. If you decide to change this yourself PM me, I can fax you instructions.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
It will range from $115-$190 for the part.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Or you could go to the junkyard and yank one for significantly less $$$.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
If I got one from the junkyard I'd still have to get the thing rekeyed . Probably will have to do that to a new too, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks