What's new

IGN reviews Daredevil Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It is interesting that they chose to cut the scene where Daredevil decides to stay with Elektra instead of going out to help people. I actually thought that was a refreshing scene, though I wasn't crazy about the love story. It seems like the obvious thing would be to have the hero go out to help and the original version came off as somewhat different from the norm.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
quote:My problem with the Elektra character is not the concept itself, rather Garner's "performance," which wouldn't have cut it on "Days of Our Lives."

To be honest, I put a lot of blame on the script. It really didn't help any of the actors. Granted, Garner probably didn't have the ability to rise above the material, but she did alright with what she was given, which wasn't much.

This is a rental for me, since I really didn't like Ben's performance, and I doubt that this will improve it much.

Jason

Shawn D

Auditioning
I thought Garners casting was unfortunate, I'd rather have seen someone that actually looks like elektra play the part. Maybe Cathrine Zetta Jones.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
quote:I thought Garners casting was unfortunate, I'd rather have seen someone that actually looks like elektra play the part. Maybe Cathrine Zetta Jones.

She doesn't much look like the part either, and I think she'd overshadow poor Affleck.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting them to cast someone who actually looked Greek. That would be too much to ask in Hollywood.

At least Garner was better than the rumor that originally was out there that they wanted Lucy Liu. While perhaps shes a better actress, that's being as far away from being greek as you can get.

To be honest, tho, I don't think any actress would have been able to make the dialog much better.

Jason

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Cathrine Zeta Jones would have been far too old and she would've needed a stunt double for anything more dangerous than picking her own nose.

Sorry, but IMHO Jennifer Garner as Elektra was one of the most perfect castings ever.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Far too old! Catherine Zeta Jones is only three years older than Jennifer Garner. Perhaps in Hollywood terms that's a big difference, though.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I'm also disappointed that they change the scene where he stays with Garner on the rooftop ... I personally felt that really rang true, and the director said so in the commentary, going so far as to criticize the ending of Spider Man for doing different.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
The fault lay in numerous places, but I can tell you the theatrical cut definitely had its share of blame. When you see how much better of a movie it is with this cut, you'll find yourself in agreement with the director.

Johnson clearly was forced to release a cut he didn't like, and what's downright funny is a featurette on the disc where producer Avi Arad is trying to defend the theatrical cut and Johnson is saying the exact opposite.

It's also another example of why movies get ruined when they try to stay within the confines of a PG-13 rating. They went full on with an R (violence and lotsa bad words) and the movie works for it.

I kinda feel bad for Coolio. His entire plot thread was cut from the theatrical release. All that work for nothing, and it was decent, too. But it's fully restored here. Ditto Leland Orser, a character actor I really like and Jon Favreau. Both see their parts get significantly more air time.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote:It is interesting that they chose to cut the scene where Daredevil decides to stay with Elektra instead of going out to help people. I actually thought that was a refreshing scene, though I wasn't crazy about the love story. It seems like the obvious thing would be to have the hero go out to help and the original version came off as somewhat different from the norm.
I thought that scene was the best example of how the director really did not understand the character of Daredevil as he appeared in the comics and am glad that it is gone. I was surprised and disappointed that he seemed proud of it on the commentary.

In a Stan Lee world, he might have fought off his compulsion to help people/fight crime for a night, but he would have paid for it with "Uncle Ben" like consequences in short order.

I was going to pass on the Director's cut because the initial word I was hearing was that they were mainly going to be putting in more violence that had been cut for a PG-13 rating, and I thought the film's weaknesses had nothing to do with this. From what I am hearing now, I may pick it up after all.

Regards,

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Several people are happy that Daredevil now runs off to save people Iinstead of staying on the roof with Garner)because that is more in tune with the character, but I never read the comics ... so it means little to me. Staying with Jennifer Garner was perhaps not a "Stan Lee" decision, but it definitely was a human decision. By staying with Garner as opposed to running off it really illustrated the conflict between being a regular person and a superhero, and demonstrated the unique burdens that a person with Murdock's powers have, along the same lines as the sequence with Murdock waking up in the sense-deprivation chamber.

I just enjoyed that scene for the human qualities it showed, and I'm disappointed that the vulnerability of the character is now ignored.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
quote:I just enjoyed that scene for the human qualities it showed, and I'm disappointed that the vulnerability of the character is now ignored.

thumbsup.gif
That scene made the film unique in the superhero genre, taking it out in this directors cut is a crying shame. I may not bother with this version after all.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Canadians should note that this DVD will be released with a "bilingual" packaging in Canada... This is what "DVDSoon" had to say:

"Dear Sir:

Please note that 20th century fox studio have decided to replace this title with a bilingual cover."

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: That scene made the film unique in the superhero genre, taking it out in this directors cut is a crying shame
Well maybe it did, but unique isn't always better. Incorporating the Catholic iconography is a thematically empty gesture without the accompanying psychology. The fact that they made him a show-off when in civilian clothes was bad enough.

Regards,

Don

Second Unit
if the Directors cut has been edited etc. i for one will PASS on this and i was waiting for it to so I didn't have to double Dip.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I'm confused on when this is being released. Some retail sites are listing it as November 2nd, but then some review sites are listing it as November 30th. Does anyone know when this is coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks