What's new

IGN gives KnockOut Kings an 8.8 (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Here's the summary:

Presentation

Menus, cinemas and camera work are top notch. Fighter bios would've helped.

Graphics

This is what an Xboxing game should look and move like. From Lennox Lewis' dreads to

Ray Leonard's bolo punch, the detail is exquisite.

Sound

The decent announcers play second fiddle to the glorious sounds of boxing. Punches and

crowd noise are even better than LL's title song.

Gameplay

This game spawns a new generation of sophisticated button mashers. You'll control the

chaos and have a blast doing it.

Lasting Appeal

You and your buddies will keep this game in hot rotation on the Xbox because the career

mode and fighting roster are little thin.

OVERALL SCORE (not an average)

Sounds pretty good though unfortunately it's on the arcade side as opposed to the sim side.

Guess I'll rent it first.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Sounds like a must buy to me. I love boxing and I am one of the few who like KK2K1.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Just got the PS2 version. Extremely disapointed.
Graphics aren't as good as the previous version.
The new control system is bad. Impossible to throw a body blow, never the less focus on it. The computer players seem to have the same problem. The block button doesn't realy work either. Ditto for your pc opponent. So you just sit there and trade shots. Playing diffrent fighters feels like the same one, unlike the previous game.
It is hard to tell where in the ring you are. The camera angles fly away at seemingly random intervals.
Unlike the previous WORST boxing game ever...Victorous Boxer, there are no alternate controller configurations.
That is the ONLY thing that made VB playable.
Unlike SSX Tricky, they didn't include the DTS sound system.
Also the female boxers are completely gone.
The fantasy fight is gone, though you can now fight across weight divisions. At least in exhibition.
IMHO They threw the previous game out the window and developed a new inferior game. Even the opening is worst. I wish they just addressed the problems with the previous version (i.e load times and no career mode for the women) instead.
I'd give KK2K1 a B+. KK2K2 a D-. :thumbsdown: :angry:
Peter

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly the PS2 version sucks really bad this year, but the XBox version is fantastic. I read somewhere someone said they made the XBox version just as good as if not better than Victorious Boxers, which is great as I thouhgt VB was hoot.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I have to disagree. I played KO Kings on my PS2 for over 5 hours last night, and although it did take some time getting used to the controls (what game doesn't? Half-life anyone?) I had a great time. I love boxing to begin with, and I loved 2001 too. This year's is totally reworked but it's much faster than last years and it's also more realistic. I actually could use the jab to set up the hook, I could start downstairs and then when my opponents hands went down, go to the head. Sure I'd love custom controls but I'd love that in any game. It's fun and that for me is the bottom line. You also need to alter your fight plan according to the fighter you can't use the same move over and over and not expect to be countered by a good opponent. Also, heavyweight fights don't all end in the 1st or 2nd round. My buddy and I took Ali and Frazier to an epic 8 round battle, something that could never have happened in last years version.

I was hesitant at first when I read some less than flattering reviews of this game but then I remembered that they trashed 2001 too and that game gave me hours of great fights.

If you like boxing, not just fighting, but boxing, give this a try.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
GameSpot also gave it a good review, an 8.4/10.
I like it a lot. It's one of those rare birds, a game that's fun to play all the way up the learning curve...even if you suck at it.
Of course, I never played 2K1, so I didn't have to "unlearn" a whole control scheme from the previous edition.
I do have to wonder if there aren't some other real boxers hidden as Easter Eggs. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if some are discovered. I can imagine why they wouldn't use Tyson, due to his less than stellar public persona, but it'd be great if they've hidden him.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Tyson, they might not have had the right to use his likeness since he's endorsed another boxing game due out sometime soon. The clerk at a store I was recently visiting told me about it and swore this game was going to include ear-biting. I remain skeptical but we'll see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks