What's new

IGN Film Force Top 25's (1 Viewer)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
That animation list PAINS me. Not that I ever really trusted the IGN staff in the first place, but "Grave of the Fireflies" only one spot above TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE? C'mon now. I love the Transformers, but that movie is horrid. It really is. I owned it for a long time out of pure nostalgia, but I sold it once I tried to watch it separated from my nostalgia and couldn't make it through, it's just a shoddy piece of work.

Pinnochio in the low 20's? Final Fantasy showing up at all? No representation of Bakshi? Bluth? no Ninja Scroll or Vampire Hunter D? James and the Giant Peach shows up nowhere? The Fleischer Supermans? South Park in the top 3? I love that movie to death, but to include it in the top 10 of all animated movies of all time?

Yikes.

Their Drama list is a lot more like it. Their animation list is just bad. It's a good thing Ernest Rister isn't hanging around anymore--I think that list would have gave him an anuerysm.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

Maybe you'd feel better if you thought of it as a list of the best animated films out of "most popular" and "most famous" ones, as well as a few chosen for "historical significance". I've heard of every movie on the list, even though I haven't seen many of them, but have never heard of any of those movies that you listed that I've quoted, and a lot of others probably haven't heard of them either.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
The animation list is pathetic, even when held to the mainstream theory. Little consideration was given to foreign works, but to put Final Fantasy on there over something like say, Akira (arguably, still the most mainstream anime film to date), just doesn't even begin to make sense. I continue to despise IGN's film department. They're almost as consistently worthless as Blockbuster video.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Animation: I didn't care for the list as a ranking at all, but as a selection of the 25 top animated movies of all time - sure, there are some shameful omissions and inclusions - I enjoyed reading it. I wish they would have presented it as such.

Drama: a little too broad, I thought. And only two foreign films? I didn't care for this list. But maybe we shouldn't expect Sight and Sound from FilmForce.

That said, I look forward to the eleven other lists.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Normally I'm not too critical of lists, but that animation one is a doozy, it's okay as a selection (excepting final fantasy) but the ordering is about the worst of any best of list I've ever seen, but then it's an internet list put together by 25-35 pro-nerd males, so it reflects that taste rather than a more balanced perspective of great animation. Good variety, but more hip-centric than I'd like. (basically I can't stand they ranked Bambi Pinocchio, Fantasia, Beauty and the Beast and Spirited Away so low!)

The Drama list is interesting, but some of their rankings are quite low, some seem to be included 'just cause' it's a famous title (I find the Gone with the Wind ranking especially surprising considering who is voting, I wouldn't have seen it appealing to guys that have probably avoided or been burned by evil and despicable women like Scarlett all their lives). On the other hand, the Drama list shows the impact DVD has made on taste and that they do have a relatively sophisticated vocabularly of an outstanding variety of films. I wouldn't expect them to include snoozefests like Tarkovsky or Antonioni that imo have little appeal outside of elite cache.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
25. Final Fantasy
24. Pinocchio
23. Bambi
22. Mononoke Hime
21. Fantasia
20. Monsters Inc
19. Metropolis
18. Charlotte's Web
17. Transformers the Movie
16. Grave of the Fireflies
15. Dumbo
14. Shrek
13. Lion King
12. Toy Story
11. Little Mermaid
10. Beauty and the Beast
09. Aladdin
08. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
07. Incredibles
06. Spirited Away
05. Nightmare Before Christmas
04. Finding Nemo
03. South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut
02. Iron Giant
01. Toy Story 2

Here's how I think these twenty five films should be ranked I don't expect anyone else to agree with me, but I'd like to see other HTFers lists for the animation. :)

01. Bambi - best animation ever.
02. Beauty and the Beast - perfection
03. Fantasia
04. Spirited Away
05. Grave of the Fireflies
06. Monsters Inc.
07. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
08. The Lion King
09. The Incredibles
10. Pinocchio
11. Iron Giant
12. Toy Story 2
13. Finding Nemo
14. Little Mermaid
15. Aladdin
16. Nightmare Before Christmas
17. Southpark Bigger Longer and Uncut
18. Mononoke Hime
19. Shrek
20. Toy Story
21. Dumbo
22. Charlotte's Web
23. Metropolis
24. Transformer's the movie
25. Final Fantasy the Spirits within.

I'd dump Dumbo Charlotte's web, metropolis, Transformers and final fantasy for Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella, Kiki's Delivery Service, Akira, and Ghost in a Shell, most of which would be ranked higher.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I don't understand why people like Kiki's Delivery Service. It was the first Miyazaki film that I saw, and it almost put me off anime for good. The other movies of his that I've seen since (Castle In The Sky and The Castle Of Cagliostro) are much MUCH better, and if I made a list of the best animated movies, they'd both be high on it. I'm not disappointed in them not being on the IGN list, though. They're not as well-known as the others, so it would be unrealistic to expect them to be there.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
Out of sheer respect to a groundbreaking medium, "Toy Story" deserves to be placed above it's sequel, if not in the Top 5. Definately over "South Park".

But, afterall, this is the opinion of video gamers were taking into consideration, here.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I agree, that list is a farce.

And Ocean, you've heard of Miyazaki but have never heard of Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, or Ralph Bakshi? ;)

Anyone who has any interest in animation should be familiar with these titles and people. If you haven't heard of them, you really should invest time in changing that. Great stuff there. I'd also like to add Macross Plus, Record of Lodoss War, Jin-Roh, and the Wings of Honneamise as omissions.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I find it particularly bothersome that 'Bambi'
and 'Pinocchio' ( both of which should be in the top 5 )rank lower than the highly overrated 'Beauty & The Beast' and 'South Park'. And where is 'My Neighbour Totoro', which is quite possibly the finest animated movie ever made? A poor list put together by those who aren't particularly interested in animation methinks.

My personal top 10

1) My Neighbour Totoro
2) Bambi
3) Fantasia
4) Kiki's Delivery Service
5) Pinocchio
6) The Secret of NIMH
7) Spirited Away
8) Grave of the Fireflies
9) Pom Poko
10 ) Animal Farm

Bubbling under: 'Porco Rosso', 'The Last Unicorn', 'Kirikou & The Sorceress', 'Dumbo', 'Barefoot Gen', 'Watership Down', 'The Iron Giant', 'Princess Mononoke'

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
Where's Heavy Metal in the animated movie list. That is a travesty that it wasn't listed at all.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The inclusion of Final Fantasy the Spirits Within nullifies this list for me. That film was horrible. Animation is more than just pretty pictures.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I see that with the exception of 'Snow White & The Seven Dwarves', every film in the animation top 10 was made after 1990, and several of them were productions made within the past 5 years. I think this clearly proves the list was a memory test more than anything else!

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised by all the hate towards Final Fantasy. I never saw it, but I always assumed that it was a good movie that just didn't do well at the box office because its appeal was limited to a niche sci-fi audience rather than the general public (like Serenity, for example).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
no it was also bad scifi with poor matches of voices to characters and unexpressive dull characters. the scifi might have been good if the characters weren't all inscrutable ciphers that occasionally burst into a random actiony scene.

It's a bad movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks