IGN Cube previews US GC game box artwork

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brecher, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

A few select pics (high res available) of the US box artwork for some GC titles can be found here .
    I am still guessing these are coming in standard DVD cases (and not mini DVD cases which I personally think would be much more fitting)...
    I find the artwork a little bland to be honest. Of all of them, Smash Brothers would seem to indicate that it's perhaps only temporary artwork.
    Dan (UK)

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Dan,
    I believe they announced regular-sized DVD cases for Japan. I would guess they will use that packaging worldwide, but you never know. They wanted to go with the full size case so they could include a larger instruction book. One difference with the Gamecube cases, however, is that they include a space to hold a memory card above the disc on that side of the case.
    Luigi's Mansion case, disc, & book Picture 1
    Luigi's Mansion case, disc, & book Picture 2
    -Dan
    [Edited last by Dan B on September 09, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think using full sized DVD cases is a good thing. They can fit multi-disc games in them very easily, plus there will be room for a memory card. It also will make the cases blend in with the XB and PS2 game cases on my shelf.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    For Luigi's Mansion, I would have liked to see Luigi in some sort of 'Ghostbusting' postion with him standing in front of the mansion, and the ghosts chasing him or Luigi chasing them.
    ------------------

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Oh I didn't think of the prospect of multi-disc titles, Morgan. Interesting point. I think I am just making excuses because I am running out of space for these type of things. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

6. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I'm glad they are using full sized DVD cases. Mainly for the reason that they can include larger instruction manuals. Also, I doubt the reason had anything to do with being able to fit a memory card in the case also.
    The PS2 cases have a memory card slot, and it uses regular sized DVD/CD's
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Actually, Zone of the Enders came with 2 DVDs in one regular DVD case. Make one of these cases for the GCN, and you could fit at least 6 discs easily into one case with space for a memory card. Thats pretty good.

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

This is interesting, the Japanese GC games DO in fact come in half-sized DVD cases.
    Dan (UK)

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

As it turns out, they are using different cases in Japan, but they will be using full-sized DVD cases in the US...or that's what I last heard anyway.
    -Dan

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I saw somewhere that the covers are also semi-transparent, if not totally transparent. I think its neat that they have their own disc size and now cover size.