IFC Canada not supporting OAR.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Colella, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

The Independant Film Channel Canada shows commercials during movies, but I've learned to live with them.
    But I cannot live with the fact that they broadcast most widescreen films in P&S. I never had this problem with IFC on DirecTV.
    Pulp Fiction was broadcast last night, and Shallow Grave tonight - both in P&S.
    What really bothers me is that when IFC Canada advertised the upcoming broadcast of both these films, they were shown letterboxed!
    What a slap in the face!
    Does IFC Canada even understand that people interested in independant films are usualy film appreciators who respect OAR?
    I've e-mailed IFC Canada and let them know how I feel... I recommend other Canadians to do the same.

2. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

They're owned by Alliance Atlantis, so I can't say I'm surprised.
    The only time I remember any of their stations showing a movie in WS is when Showcase Action first started. They showed Die Hard in WS.
    Here's their contact info in case other people want to contact them too:
    http://ifctv.ca/contact/
    viewercomments@ifctv.ca

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, IFC in the US also shows quite a few WS movies in P&S. Yes, they show many OAR movies, but they also show a lot of P&S. But since IFC (US) is owned by the same group that owns Bravo, WE and other havens of P&S, it's not surprising that P&S also shows up on IFC. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Steve K.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree...
    i would think a channel like IFC or Sundance would realize what the expectation is and who the target audience is.
    it surprises me to see so many movies done in P&S. yes, they do show a decent amount in OAR, but i would think they should do ALL of them in OAR.
    bizarre...heck...it bothers me enough when i watch movies on HBO or anywhere else. i'm always thinking "what am i missing?"

5. Marc Colella

Noticed that Belle De Jour is being played tonight in full-frame.
    Is it being displayed in full-frame because of Joe Sixpack?
    Does IFC Canada actually think that J6P is interested in a film like Belle De Jour?
    J6P's aren't usually interested in independant films, nevermind the fact that they probably wouldn't even subscribe to IFC in the first place.
    Complete nonsense.
    And of course IFC Canada hasn't even responded to my e-mail yet.

6. Marc Colella

I actually received a reply from IFC Canada today... although I'm not thrilled with the reply:
    "IFC would prefer to air films in their original form however acquistion of programming content is done through a variety of distributors and most often the films are already packaged for viewing when we receive them. If an acquistion is available in original form, that option is chosen.
    Once again, we thank you for sending your comments. We thank you for your interest in IFC."

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

great...
    so a channel that pushes the directors vision "settles" for what it can get?
    [​IMG]