IFC annoying - no letterbox!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I really enjoy the Independant Film Channel on DirecTV, but why don't they show movies in Widescreen???? It drives me crazy, if TCM can show widescreen so can IFC, darnit! It seems to me that the kind of person who watches IFC would appreciate widescreen. I couldn't find a feedback link on their web site. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

They do show films in letterbox. Not all of them, but I know I've watched a few. Didn't they just air La Femme Nikita letterboxed?

M.

3. Michael Reuben

OK, right now they're showing Angels and Insects in letterbox. Upcoming movies marked as lbx include Do the Right Thing and Clockers.

M.

4. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I see lots of movies on IFC in letterbox.

5. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

IFC is one of my favorite channels. I find it to be a rare occurance when they don't show a film in widescreen.

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I was disappointed that they showed Delicatesen in P&S, especially since it is not on DVD.

7. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    They show a lot of letterboxed movies. Just the other night I was flipping around and they were showing The Crying Game in its OAR. In fact I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre on IFC letterboxed last month. Great channel.

8. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

From what I've seen, MAR is the exception on IFC. Sundance on the other hand...

9. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

IFC always broadcasts in letterbox whenever possible.
    The Big Picture, Boys Don't Cry, and La Femme Nikita(with the correct English subtitles to boot!), to name a few, have all been shown in letterbox.

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

IFC Canada is terrible in this respect.

Most of the films they show are NOT letterboxed.

They really need to understand their target market much better than this. The average Joe Sixpack and Soccer-mom don't subscribe to this channel.
    The channel is dedicated to people who view film as an artform.

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Yes, I have observed letterboxed to be the usual format on IFC.

It is a bit disappointing when they don't do letterbox, though. I can't for the life of me figure out why RUN LOLA RUN wasn't shown letterboxed...

12. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I love this channel too. I think the choice of movies they show are great. I especially love the fact that they are the only channel on television that has the balls to show Kenneth Branagh's "Peter's Friends" in widescreen, especially considering the fact that it has never been letterboxed on home video as of yet and everytime the movie plays on IFC, I try to catch it, but it's not that easy though and I can't explain why. This channel rarely ever shows anything in MAR. Except maybe "Spanking the Monkey", which looks like it is screaming for a letterbox whenever it plays.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I guess I should have named the thread "not enough letterbox". :b I rarely watch "broadcast TV" (or sattelite), but when I have caught something interesting on IFC (in the last few months "ReAnimator" and "Glengary Glenross" they've been hack & slash not letterbox. [​IMG]

14. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I saw the "Unbearable Lightness of Being" last week. It was letterboxed and the first credit stated "The Criterion Collection". What a treat! I find myself watching this station more and more.

15. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

What people have to understand is that these cable channels can only show the transfers that they are given by whatever studio owns the film gives them. Sometimes there aren't OAR transfers to show. Sometimes the studio only gives them the MAR version. I don't think it's a conscious decision to show MAR transfers. Otherwise, IFC would never show OAR presentations.

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

from what i've seen, it's about 40/60 in favor of lbx. i think i also heard somewhere that whenever possible, the channel will show in OAR, but it has to "settle" for what it can get from the studio.

it's sort of ironic that a channel dedicated to the filmmaker's vision has to "settle" but i suppose it's better then nothing.

i also agree that it is difficult to watch any movie in MAR. everytime i watch it i think about what i'm missing instead of focusing on the movie itself.

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

TCM doesn't settle. And I'll always check their listings at the beginning of the month.
    Half-ass IFC... [​IMG]

18. Michael Reuben

19. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Agreed on the weakness of their library, and often very perturbed when I see P&S version of a film on IFC that's available letterboxed on DVD.

In other words, I accept the excuse you offer, but it makes no difference to me why they can't broadcast a film properly. All that matters is that all too frequently they don't.

20. Michael Reuben