What's new

IFA 2008 (Germany) - Blu-ray Disc Association Press Conference (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The "HD Reality Enhancer" functions on the Sony player are a GOOD thing and should be standard on all players--not pooh-poohed. Why? Because if EE and "de-graining" are available on the players, then there is far less incentive to distort the source material. It lets those who want the "film-like" experience from undistorted source material have what they want and those who "hate grain" have what they want. A win-win.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Just so long as those functions can be user disabled on the player. Is there any word on whether the reality enhancer function can be disabled on the SONY player?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that was what I was also thinking. It´s hard to believe, that they would "force" something like that (like Toshiba with their new DVD-player, I guess). Well, not 100% sure, though.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If I'm not going to use it, why would I want to pay for this junk to be included in a player? I'd rather pay for better components to deliver an unadulterated image than cut corners so this "feature" can be included.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Do you use every feature on your receiver/pre-pro? Or any other piece of HT gear? The manufacturers are NOT going to produce 586 different versions of the same player just so three people can get the one "without the junk". It would be economic suicide.

There is no winning, I guess. The masses (for myriad reasons elaborated elsewhere in this forum) appear "conditioned" to expect HD to look like broadcast HD sports and nature shows--HD video look, not film transfered to HD. So there are two main options--"scrub" films to look like HD video (all too common and UNDESIRABLE) or leave the transfers in as natural a state as possible and put features in players that will do the "scrubbing" (a MUCH preferable state of affairs). But "I don't want to pay for the junk" will NOT give much incentive for players to be so equipped (and having them so equipped makes it likelier that transfers will be more "natural" AND that those who prefer the "scrubbed" look can still be happy). Would you rather the transfers remained as natural as possible and "pay for the junk" or be FORCED to endure sub-par transfers because "the junk" isn't available? I know which one I prefer. (the "no junk/no 'scrubbing'" option simply won't be available)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, why these "HD Reality Enhancers" etc are such a big deal now? I mean many players - let alone A/V receivers, have all kind of useless features. Just part of the game and part of the "press releases".

If they´re *optional* (usually they´re), who cares. Most of us will do all the (picture) settings from the TV/projector - not via player.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks.
And I have to agree with Paul. I'd rather have these as options on TV-sets and players than burned on my Blu-ray discs.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks