If you're willing to help a newbie with a couple of pre/pro questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Elias, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to help I've received on this forum, I'm now the owner of a used Rotel RB985MkII 5-channel amp. Now I'm looking for a used pre/pro (my budget for this piece of the system is only $1000)and have the following questions:

Are there any advantages, aside from aesthetics, to purchasing a matching Rotel pre/pro such as the RSP-985?

My system must serve as both my music and home theater system, and my usage is 70% music, 30% movies. I've noticed the following used pre/pros for sale lately in my price range and wonder if you have thoughts or opinions to share about them. A tuner is not necessary, but if the pre/pro had one I would use it.

Lexicon DC-1 Version 4.0

Rotel RSP-985

Adcom GTP-830 digital processing tuner/preamp

Sunfire Grand Theater (a Carver product?)

Any suggestions for other pre/pros that I should look for used, given the limiting factors mentioned before? I'm trying to locate and listen to as many brands of pre/pros as I can in the local B&M shops with only limited success so far, but I will keep after it.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Steve Elias

2. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Steve,

Take this as just another tidbit of info, as I have never listened to a Lexicon DC-1 in my own listening room, just in the dealer's showroom.

Many comments have been made about the DC-1's less than stellar reproduction of 2-channel music. Since that is 70% of what you want to use the system for, I would make sure you get a chance to listen to the DC-1 in your listening room with your equipment playing music before you purchase it if possible.

BruceD

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Steve - I would add the Sony TA-E9000ES and the Marantz AV9000 to your list.
    The Marantz has a tuner and 5.1 analog passthrough, and may sound a little bit better than the Sony for 2 channel, stereo, sound.
    But this close to the Outlaw 950's release, you might want to wait a bit...
    Also, what is your price range? That will pre-determine what you can get too. [​IMG]

5. Steve Elias

Thanks for the help.
    Craig. I'll check out those links after I'm done with this post. Thanks.
    LarryB. I'm trying to be patient, but who knows how long it will be before I start to crack at the seams [​IMG] I'm with you in not needing the latest and greatest speaker in the seat cushions of my couch format, which makes it even harder to wait. I think I can, I think I can....
    BruceD. Thank you. That is very helpful as the Lexicon DC-1 is a product I haven't been able to audition or find (yet!).
    Kevin. Thanks for the additional choices. I admit to having an anti-Sony bias based on unrelated experiences in the past, but I will try to behave like an adult and let bygones be bygones. I'll definitely look into the Marantz. My price range is around $1000 for a used or new piece of equipment.
    Thanks again.
    -Steve Elias

6. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

At the present time, you will find bargains on 5.1 A/V

receivers. Many of these have pre-amp outputs, as well

as excellent video switching. For example, I just bought

a Yamaha HTR-5280 for 485USD. However, the downside is

they take up more shelf space.

JRS

7. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Steve, I think you should take a little time to write down exactly what features you MUST have in a pre/pro, any additional features would just be icing on the cake.
    There are so many affordable pieces out there to choose from, this would help narrow it down.
    When I bought my pre/pro, I had 1 feature that helped eliminate the majority of choices right off the bat, I wanted 2 channel Analog Bypass. Also, my budget was $3k.
    I ended up buying the Classe SSP-25, paid $2,300 new(list price was $3k)Classe pre/pro's also have excellent DAC's so music and movies can be thoroughly enjoyable. EAD is another company that makes excellent products capable of good 2-channel reproduction. Anyway, good luck![​IMG]

8. Steve Elias

Thanks Jim, but as you point out, an A/V receiver will take up more space, and for the time being I'm going to hold out for the slimmer pre/pro option.

Thanks Frank. I'm in the process of making list, but I'm wondering if my top two criteria are in conflict. Two channel analog bypass (#2)is important to me, but I'm under the impression that my limited budget (around $1000) (#1) would prevent me from getting a good used pre/pro with that capability. I'll finish the list and do more research to decide if, indeed, I need to make a compromise in either my budget or my wish list. FWIW, my other criteria are good 5.1 channel with Pro Logic/DTS/DD format. I don't care for the various "Jazz Club", "Stadium" effects, and I doubt I'll ever have an eight speaker setup. Although I'm interested in DPL II, I can probably live without it. A tuner is icing, not cake.

-Steve Elias

9. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I own the Rotel RSP-985 and I will mention one concern that I have that I did not realize when I bought the unit. Unless it has been redesigned, the 5.1 input is a 25 pin input. I wish it were a single rca input for each channel. But when I bought it dvd-a or sacd were not around and I think Rotel took a chance on the input type. Although I will say that my unit has worked flawlessly for a couple of years and I really like it. This may be a non-issue for you, but I thought I'd point it out.

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Steve:

Wait for the Outlaw. It's in your price range, it'll be new, and have most all of the audio format bells and whistles.

Dan

11. Steve Elias

Thanks Dave and Dan. The detail about the RSP is helpful as it is an issue with that pre/pro I had not yet considered. As far as the Outlaw is concerned, have they posted a new release date? I was checking out their site but did not see a concrete release date, just some comments that it should be available around Christmas/New Year. It does look to have a lot of potential. Thanks again.

-Steve Elias