If you're about to be rear-ended do you...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

1. Apply the brake

2. Release the brake.

I once released the brake and got knocked into a truck, with an equal amount of damage in the front and rear.

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

That's a good question...either way, the person that rear ends you pays for both rear AND frontal damage (that was my case).

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

hmm...
    i'd say it's a lose-lose situation. if you apply the brake, i'm guessing the force of the rear-ending would be stronger than if you released the brake, thus giving you (really bad) whiplash. so if you'd rather risk yourself rather than the car, apply the brake. but i'm guessing some physicist is about to prove me wrong.
    if you release the brake and you hit the guy in front of you, according to my driving instructor (gasp! i actually learned something from him! [​IMG]), you have to pay for the damage you caused him, but i think the guy that rear-ended you still has to pay for your damage. my driving instructor said that you should always be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you so if you get rear-ended and you've completely stopped, you shouldn't hit the automobile in front of you. but in the end, i think it all depends on how fast the car behind you is going.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you hope you're on a motorcyle and pull next to or betweenthe cars in front of you, or just run the light [​IMG]

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I just kept my foot on the brake when I got rear-ended by a truck doing 60kmh, but then again, I didn't even see him coming behind me and I had my foot on the brake anyways.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

My only gut reaction is to push my head back against the headrest, HARD.

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    That's 37.28227 mph for all our non-metric friends. [​IMG]

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I was rear ended about a year ago and my involuntary reaction was to press down on the brake as hard as I could. Had I not done so I probably would have hit the car in front of me.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'd rather deal with one collision, than two, if I could help it, so I'd step on the brake, and do when Todd would do, try and keep my head as firmly on the headrest as possible.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i was rear ended twice the first time i didnt have a chance to brake or move it was too fast for me to react.

my car was totaled and i did hit the car in front of me.
    i did not have to pay for the car i hit because the car behind me caused the hit. but i believe if i pulled up and hit the car first then the carbehind me hit us then i would be responsible for the car in front ...but i doubt that the car behind would be able to prove that he didn't cause both hits.

the second time i saw the van coming and was at a stop sign, first. so i had time to pull up further into the intersection just enough so the van didn't impact hard enough to damage my car too much

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was a passenger when the truck hit us at 70+mph (police said he was doing 90+ when he hit the brakes)
    Even with a head rest and seatbelts, crumblezone, your brain basically crashes into the skull (so the doctors say)
    Dont remember the next 2 years and not alot from the next 2 after that. Police was surprised to see anyone alive so I guess I was lucky

15. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

16. Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L Stunt Coordinator

17. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I was rear ended earlier this year. My car was at a full stop position and as I was waiting to turn, an SUV hit me in the rear/right rear corner going 45 mph. I never saw it coming, but as far as I know, I held the brake the entire time. Luckily there was no one in front of me or coming in the opposite direction, because my car did a 180 degree turn in the middle of the road.

18. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    I got rear-ended by someone who had a seizure about 10 years ago. I got hit at a stop light and he was doing about 40. Got hit so hard that I released the break and went across the intersection. Luckily there was no crossing traffic or I would have been T-boned as well.

As far as following distance. I try to keep with the 2 to 3 second rule that is in the 'What Every Driver Must Know' book. It accounts for speed so you are a farther distance from the vehicle in front of you when you have a longer breaking distance and such. Unfortunately, keeping that rule causes people to constantly cut in front of you since you have a car or two length in front of you at all times and no one follows rules anymore...

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Wow Grant. I hope there were few other lasting effects. That sounds like some serious trauma there.

Personally, I couldn't think of much worse to do than not have on the brakes. With the brakes off, you will go wherever the collision is sending you. Considering that you are likely stopped, I would assume that will be into an intersection with cross traffic. Without the extra stopping power of the brake, you'll be going into one heck of a pinball game (if you aren't headed there already).

So, I'm for braking in preparation for an impact.

20. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jeremy, I think it's just a general rule of thumb, and not to be analyzed in detail like that. [​IMG]
    Stephen, I go by the 3-second rule too, and yes it's incredibly frustrating because people keep squeezing in in front of me... but I do it anyway, because it is the best way I know to avoid rear-ending someone. If someone pulls in front of me, I just slow down a little bit until I'm at safe distance again.