If your subwoofer has a L/R input, read this!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MuneebM, Jun 9, 2004.

1. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

If:
    (1) You use the mono subwoofer pre-out from your AVR
    AND
    (2) Your subwoofer has left & right inputs

Split the single cable coming in to the sub so that you are plugged in to both the left and right input terminals, and you'll actually gain 3-6 dB SPL output from the sub, giving you significantly more headroom or allowing you to turn down the gain on your subwoofer to achieve ref level SPLs.

I tried this on my Dayton STF-2 (modded Dayton from partsexpress) and I actually gained 5-6 dB SPL output, which allowed me to turn down the gain of the Dayton's amp significantly [​IMG]

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
    My DVD Collection

2. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

I don't think we will gain 3-6dB of headroom by using both L&R inputs.

Headroom is generally fixed for any sub. So by doing what you just did, you compensated for the increase of signal level from 2 inputs by turning down the gain knob from the otherwise convnetional method (Ironically, the gain knob should be called an attenuation knob to be describe its function accurately )

It would be the same as sending just a mono signal and pumping up the gain by the same amount. I doubt headroom has increased.

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Welcome to last year!

4. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Ya know, a guy comes on line to share something &
    gets slammed for it......says alot. [​IMG]

We neophytes get "excited" when we learn stuff, be it
    for me stereo's, or others maybe motorcycles or
    whatever it might be, & we like to share.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

This isn't to say this bit of info isn't useful, but if people took the time and searched first, they would realize some topics have had extensive coverage before.

It does say alot that people are so lazy as to not even look at past topics to see if they might gleen any insight first, and then provide a new spin.

6. Cam McFarland

Yes.....that is absolutely correct.
    And it can be handled the way you did Jack, or the way
    John did.

Sorry guys, I just have always been more of a speed freak & gun nut. Never messed with stereos other than in my cars or trucks.

7. Cam McFarland

deleted

8. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I know this might be old news to some, but to others that have L/R inputs on their subs (Paradigm and Dayton sub owners come to mind), they may not know it. I wanted to post this thread up for those that are unaware of it and give them a heads-up.

I had no idea this would give me a gain on my sub, so why the heck would I go searching the forum for it??? This applies to others that don't know about this, they won't go searching for it, but if they see this thread fresh and new, then they'll pick up on it and try the same on their subs.

A forum is for sharing ideas, if you don't like the thread or if you think its already been discussed and not worth your time then just skip it, simple as that. No need to be anal about it! [​IMG]

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=10
    My DVD Collection

9. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Ok, I may have said the wrong thing. I realize I didn't gain any headroom, but by splitting the signal into L&R I gained 5-6 dB at the same gain on my sub's amp. I, of course, recalibrated my sub to REF level, and had to turn down the gain on the sub's amp. The point is, I'm now running the gain on my sub lower, and this trick can also allow for the receiver's sub-out to be lowered as Jack mentioned.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=11
    My DVD Collection

10. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

soooo...
    Via a y-cable? or a splitter of some sort (what if you have RG-6 cabled down to RCA adapters as it is?)
    Just checking guys, I had no idea, and I applaud Muneebm for sharing.
    Thanks dude,

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It can also help with a insensitive auto function.

Don't worry MuneebM. Most of the Threads posted have all been discussed at some time or another. I rather enjoyed your new discovery for what it's worth, even though it needed a little tweaking.

12. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

13. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Well, I meant I re-calibrated the Dayton to reference level using DVE and my SPL meter. I'm using the Dayton as a secondary/rear sub, my primary/front sub is an HSU STF-2, so I haven't really measured the peak SPL of the modded Dayton below 40 Hz. The mod I did was simple, I replaced the stock 10" driver with an HSU STF-2 10" driver and it made a big improvement: cleaner and tighter bass, and now it definitely goes a lot lower than it did stock.

Actually, I'm thinking of sticking the stock driver back in and taking measurements at various frequencies and then putting the STF-2 driver and re-measuring to give numerical proof of the improvement. Of course, that's a topic for another thread, so I won't go off-course.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=16
    My DVD Collection

14. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

aren't we, then, degrading the signal and, therefore, defeating the purpose of using the RG-6 in the first place?

15. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

16. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Another thought has entered my skull...
    How are you running the second sub...do you have a receiver with two LFE outputs? Or are you running a y-splitter to begin with? you already mentioned you are running RG-6, so you arent running the high pass side and rears off the sub... soooo...?

17. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor