What's new

If you were to buy a new HDTV, which model would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Subject says it all.
I'm ready to buy my HD set. I don't have enough money to go Front projection or plasma...but I do have enough to look at the 65 inch Mitsubishis...the only ones I have checked out up until now.
I've been living with a 32" up until now, so anything will be a massive improvement. I have a progressive scan DVD player (Denon 2800)...but it doesn't have aspect control on board, so this is an important feature on the new TV. Also, I use the Denon 5800 to do all of my video switching, an over abundance of inputs on the TV is unnecessary.
I will be sitting approximately 8-9 feet from the TV...but this could change with the purchase of a new home (soon).
Also, in the present situation, my wife watches movies on the love seat....it sits perpendicular to the couch and TV, foot position of the couch is only 2 feet from the screen or so. Therefore, I need a TV that you can see well if your off center 30-40 degrees.
Other than that, I can't think of anything else I need, please enlighten me...it's my first trek into the HD world.
Oh yes, I should mention...even though I'm in Alaska, we have an abundance or great dealers (audio and TV) in town. There is a Mitsubishi, Pioneer Elite, Sony, RCA, and I believe a Toshiba dealer right around the corner. So I do have the ability to audition the tubes...just looking to avoid the "coulda shoulda's"....
Thanks for your recommendations,
Jeremy

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Whatever it is it better have DVI and FireWire video connections, or you're gonna be screwed.
Dan

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
I was recently in your position, and was looking for an assurance that the Mit was the right way to go. After spending many days and nights reading posts from various members of this site, I had a change of heart. I found that Toshiba owners seemed to carry the best satisfaction levels. The Toshiba has a better line doubler, while the Mit's have Red Push issues, which is a popular topic in the TV area. To your advantage, prices have been dropping and you should be able to pick a 55-65 TV for well less than $3,000.
I can't say enough good things about my Toshiba 56H80. The picture is outstanding and I currently so not have a Progressive Scan so I can't imagine what it's full potential can be.
Just remember what ever your decision is, you will need to purchase a Digital Decoder for HD signal conversion. They too, can be very costly. Good luck with you choice, but if you ask my opinion go with the Toshiba.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
My wife would hate it when I took her past the Mits (55807)in our local Sears. We'd stop and look every time we were in the mall. She thought the picture was nice, but nothing outstanding.
Then recently we were in Best Buy and I took over to the HDTV display for a to "visit." She was awed by how great the Tosh looked (56h80.) Her first comments were how great the off-angle viewing was. She hated having to bend over to get a good angle to see the Mits. No such problems with the Tosh... a 56h80 was ordered that week.
Good luck!
------------------

Weldon

Auditioning
I'm looking to buy a new widescreen HDTV unit myself.
The sets that I have been most impressed with are the Pioneer Elite's and the Sony widescreen XBR's. The Pioneers had the best picture by far among the sets playing the same HBO HD demo loop at a local store. The Sony I like because the silver frame around the screen would go nice with our other furniture and I have a lot of other Sony gear that I am very happy with.
At this point, I am thinking about waiting for the new Pioneers to arrive in the fall. I hear that they might have two hd-capable inputs and also fix the lock on full bug/feature. I want to do both progressive-scan DVD and Dish Network HD so two inputs is important because my receiver doesn't do component switching.
I'd buy the Sony in an instant because of the styling and the price, but the picture on the Pioneer Elite has me in awe.
Weldon Dodd
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks