If you were opening an audiophile stereo & high end HT store what would you carry?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

If you were opening an audiophile stereo & high end home theater store what products would you carry?
    Strictly audio and the audio side of theater, no video. High-end stuff, what would you carry for; Amp-Pre Amp, Processors, Speakers, Source Components, and Interconnects.
    This thread can be the antithesis to the Bose thread [​IMG]
    The real reason I am posing the question is this. I ran across some retail space that may be coming available soon. The store used to sell mid to high-end audio so the location would already have recognition as an Audio store and returning customers. It got me thinking and I was curious.

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I have quite a bit of experience with more than 20 or so B&M stores across the country, and you have to really carry a little bit of everything nowadays. Of course you will have your main brands that make up most of your inventory, but you have to prove you can move a certain amount of product to keep that brand. And not at greatly discounted prices, as your overhead won't allow for it. It's a tough business. Those with staying power quickly find the necessary mix of product, service, and quality demanded by their customers.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i just started working at our local hifi store and i can give you a few brands to look for.
    Speakers: B&W, Paradigm (and the Studio line), M&K, Def Tech, Martin Logan, Klipsch, maybe Phase Tech, and Bose (for big-time profit, unless you completely object to selling Bose...[​IMG]). i'll think of more later if you want...
    Subs: SVS [​IMG], Paradigm, B&W, M&K, Klipsch, Bose (jk! [​IMG] ), Velodyne, maybe Hsu.
    Receivers, amps, and Pre/Pros: Denon, try for Outlaw, Yamaha, Onkyo, McIntosh, Marantz, Rotel, Sony ES (?), and B&K.
    Sources: Marantz, Denon, Panasonic (RP91?), Yamaha, Rotel, Sony ES, JVC (for VCRs), and Onkyo. there's more i know...just cant seem to think of them now.
    Cables/Interconnects: Monster (of course), CAT cables, maybe Bettercables? shouldnt be too hard to find a few other brands to sell...
    good luck if you do decide to do this Luke!! i hope to someday open my own store, but that's 20 years and $750,000 away!

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Lexicon.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

This is such an easy question to awnser.. I would carry
    one and only one product, Bose in fact I would name
    the store apropriatly The Bose Store and I would
    serve bon bon's to all the J6P's who come in, they would
    think the store was High End and One Hundred Thousand J6P's
    will spend more money than Twenty Audiophiles.
    Sad to say it.. [​IMG]

6. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

High End, to me, would imply Mark Levinson, Krell, McIntosh, Proceed, and Meridian.

Marty

7. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

What's with the heavy emphasis of e-tailor and mid-fi brands? Unless you guys think these stuff are high end stuff.

BTW Thomas,

you forgot to mention Samson amps.

Doesn't anybody know, nowdays, the big money is in the custom intall stuffs? And which of your customer are going to get custom installs when they come in for those supervalue items.

Anyway, one would have to carry many brands that are popular with the non-die hards who just wants a finished product. The brands should have lines from mid high end to ultra expensive, plus maybe a few lines that are only top of the line. To impress the customers who wanders in.

Speakers

Magnepan, Sonus Faber, Revel, Wilson, Avant Garde, Genesis.

Sub

Revel, Velodyne, Rel, Krell, Wilson

Front End/Pre/Proc/Amp

Mark Levinson, Proceed, Theta, Meridian, Krell, Pass Lab, Camelot, Cal Labs,

I would carry lexicon just so that they don't go to competitor, since everybody carries lexicon.

Probably will carry a line or 2 of tube brands, just in case customer wants that stuff. Probably different crowd as the custom install clients.

Cables

Cardas, MIT, DH Labs, Kimber, Norsdt.

And throw it all together with Crestron to control the light/screen/shade/equipment.

I stayed away from those mid-fi HT brands, especially speakers. If I want to fill the front rooms for the merely poor, budget mid-fi brands as opposed to HT brands would probably be preferred.

Reality wise, one probably can't carry all those brands, unless you are 200 miles from any other AV store.

8. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

The main thing is that it probably won't be up to you as to what you carry. Many of the high-end products have limits to the number of retailers for a given region. When a store closes other retailers try to snatch up the brands that the closing store carried, or the manufacturer goes courting them.

9. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

I think that a service related business along with sales nowadays would have better luck staying in business. Me being the Stereo-hooker-upper in my family and also friends, I could easily stay in business with them ALONE.
    I don’t see much competition out there for the "average consumer" (J6P) who needs a little help hooking up his gear and doesn’t want to pay the price of having a full retail theater installed in his basement. In fact most HT retailers wont touch you unless you buy stuff from them or want to spend serious money.
    Any one no of any just A/V service related business aimed for the "average consumer". If not, I think now is the time. $$$$$$$$ Hmmmmm......... [​IMG]

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

A lot of debt.

11. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

FUN THREAD! (pure fantasy though) [​IMG]
    Wilson, Aerial, Def Tech, Martin Logan, Paradigm, PMC
    Lexicon, BEL, Denon, Meridian, Bryston, Rotel, Parasound, Yamaha
    SVS, Velodyne, Rel, Paradigm
    Audioquest/TRUTH, Monster, Nordost
    (Sources/monitors)Pioneer ELite, Sony, DWIN, Mitsu, Da-Lite

12. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

I really like how Thomas_Berg thinks. [​IMG]
    A local store here has Theta, Levinson, Proceed, McIntosh, Elite, Denon, Rotel, Classe', and a few others. Makes for a nice store, even if they are the only high end game in town, except for Now Audio Video, a rather mid-fi store. JerryW posted in his sig for a long time, we need another A/V store in Knoxville. I have had that thought, but unfortunately, not the finances to back that idea up-
    I do agree it would be a tough business starting out.
    Doug (Lex)

13. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I would focus on the products that the other local dealers are NOT carrying! I know here in Columbus we have 2 AWESOME H.T. shops but they don't carry ANY of the same products that are considered "Hi-end".
    If I was to open a shop here, I would try to fill the void and carry Aerial Acoustic, EAD, Tag McLaren etc...and I would carry Cambridge Soundworks for the lower end, products that are not available in a 3 hour radius.
    I think for a shop to be successful, it has to offer a good product line but it MUST treat and service it's customer's to the best of it's abilities. Remember they are paying your mortgage! I too, have had visions of opening a shop that carries entry level all the way up to $500K H.T.'s.
    I have the mission statement pretty much done and what to do/what not to do in MY store. I even have the name already [​IMG]...I'd tell ya but I'd have to kill ya! [​IMG]
    Good Luck
    Michael

14. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

I don't know what brands already have guaranteed exclusivity at other salons in your region, but when I think of high-end home theater with a mix of high-end audio, these brands (in no specific order) perk up my ears:

ELECTRONICS: Pass, Conrad-Johnson, and Belles for their multichannel power amps and two-channel products, plus McIntosh, Theta, Classe, Bryston, Meridian, and Thule.

LOUDSPEAKERS: Vandersteen, Dunlavy, Sonus-Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Dynaudio, Joseph Audio, Magnepan, Martin-Logan, Revel, Aerial, and Thiel.

SUBWOOFERS: Velodyne and REL.

CABLES: Straightwire, Audioquest, Transparent, Nordost, Cardas, MIT, Discovery, Monster.

ACCESSORIES: Niles (general accessories); Audiocontrol and Rane (equalizers); Standesign, Lovan, and Sanus (speaker stands); and Salamander (racks).

Good luck on your venture, and Happy Holidays!

15. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

If I go to a high end store and they don't carry Jeff Rowland, I don't stay long. Suffice to say I don't spend much time in audio stores in Houston (absolutely pathetic with the minor exception of Audio Concepts, which carries Theta and BEL, 2 of my other favorites).

16. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Without a doubt Dynaudio and Revel speakers.
    Krell, Classe, Mark Levinson and Linn amplifiers and processors.
    That's all you need. [​IMG]

17. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Interesting thread.....
    I work in a "High End" Hi Fi store, and I love it. Even though my own personal system is considered entry level, I know what High End is. I like what I read here. Good to see that some people still know what "High End" means. Also re-assuring to see that names we carry are mentioned here. If I had a dollar for every J6P that asked if we had Bose..... [​IMG]