If you were me, would you upgrade to the Paradigm Reference series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Mar 11, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Right now my current Paradigm set up consists of:

Monitor 11 x 2, Monitor CC-370 x 1, Mini Monitor x 4

I may decide to up grade to the following Paradigm Studio set up:

Studio100 x 2, Studio CC x 1, Studio 20 x 4

Sounds good right? Well here's the catch. At first, for about a year, I would be powering the whole Studio set up with only a Denon 3801. Then maybe I would be able to upgrade to a 2 channel 200 watt amp to power the Studio 100's.

Secondly, I'll have this Studio speaker set up in an apartment, overkill I know. After that I'll most likely move into a small house. Would this be a huge problem because I am told the Studio 100's need a lot of room to sound their best?

Armed with this information would you guys still suggest upgrading to the Studio line or should I stay with the Monitor line? Keep this in mind also, I will have this speaker set up for hopefully 10 or so years.

My listening habits are as follows: 75% Music (I don't like to use a sub with music) and 25% Home Theater (but I tend to be much more picky when it comes to home theater speakers)

Thanks a lot for any information!

James

ps does anybody know when the version 3 of the Studio series is set to come out?

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

My situation is not entirely dissimilar, and I chose to upgrade. In my condo, I am using a Yammie RX-V1000, 100's, CC, Energy Take 2's for surrounds, and an Energy sub.
    Everyone goes on about how the a 100 watts (which is optimistic for a receiver) is not enough for the 100's, but I've found no fault. The way I see it is:
    1. In an apartment (or condo), you aren't going to be able to use the extra power beyond a 100 watts (if that!). Remember, from 100 watts to 200 watts will get you another 3dB loudness. Listening to music at 100 WPC, your neighbours will be working on getting you evicted... [​IMG]
    2. Run the speakers on small, and you ease the load on the overworked receiver. And get better sound, too!
    3. Since you are buying speaker with the expectation of keeping them for 10 years (as I did), it seems justifiable to get speakers which you can grow into.
    I expect that when I eventually do get a huge quality power amp, it will noticeably increase the sound from the speakers... so that's just something to look forward too!
    Regards,
    Martin.

3. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Martin, Thanks for your insight on the matter. I agree with you, I think my speakers should be able to grow with my system. I think that if I don't upgrade now, I may be itching to upgrade sooner than I planned or I'll regret missing out on getting the full price put to new speakers.

I just hope my rooms size and wattage issues don't turn the Studio 100's from an amazing speaker to just a mediocre speaker.

james

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Man this is too funny I am thinking of doing the same thing. Right now I have Infinity speakers but I am thinking of doing a side grade over to the Paradigm Studio 100's, Studio CC, & Studio ADP (Not sure if I should get the ADP's or go with direct radiating 20's). These would be powered for the time being by a Integra DTR-7 105 per channel. I figure that this will do just fine until I am able to get a nice Parasound or Aragon 5 channel power amp with 200 watts per channel. Think of it this way when you get the power amp it can only sing that much more right [​IMG]
    KyleS

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like another case of "I would be happy if I only had..." form of upgraditis. I say stick with the monitors, be happy with them, and save for the house, but that is just me.

Read my sig. It actually means nothing good would happen if we didn't have something to strive for, the caveat is, can one ever be happy then?

6. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

7. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thank for all the information guys I appreciate it.

John, I think you have a point with your statement and I'm sure my fiance would agree with you about saving my money. It's just hard to pass up the opportunity to put the full retail price of my "old" speakers towards a better set up. Kyle and Mike thanks for you input too, I have a lot to think about.

My only question is will a low powered Studio 100 in a small room still sound better than a well powered Monitor 11 in the same room? I guess what I'm getting at is will the size and wattage issues I have to deal with make the Studio 100's sound (gasp!) bad!?

8. Ian Fan

Ian Fan Auditioning

9. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

James,

If I had the opportunity to upgrade from Monitor's to the Reference line, expecially if you can get full credit for what you paid, I would jump on it. Later on, you may second guess at what could have been. The Reference line is wonderful. I have four 40's, Studio/CC, and a PW-2200. I've ordered an SVS Ultra, couldn't pass up on the Group Buy, so I'll probably move the 2200 to a future bedroom system. I say go for it!

10. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

If I were you, I would probably go with the Studio/20 or Studio/40 up front instead. For 2 channel music, I prefer bookshelf speakers over floorstanding. If floorstanding is a must, then try the Studio/60. I understand that both the Studio/80 and Studio/100 don't that much lower in the bass department. In other words, I think that you would still need a sub with the Studio/100.

Until recently, I had a pair of Studio/60 V.1 mains, Studio/20 V.1 rears and a CC-450 centre in a 10'x20'x8' apartment living room. Even the Studio/60 need a bit of room to breath....a good 18" clear is typically required (12" min IMO).

Dave

11. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Damn, all this talk about Paradigms makes me wanna go rush out and buy a set right now! [​IMG] I've had my eye on a pair of 40s for some time now. I just have to pay off my existing VISA bill and then I'll rack it up again! [​IMG] But you know, if you decide to go reference you gotta go with the real wood finish. I mean, it's just beautiful! Like my buddy says, that's not a speaker, it's a peice of furniture! He's right, except that furniture never sounded THIS good! [​IMG]
    - Mike

12. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I agree, the veneer finish is very nice. I have them in black oak.

13. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

if you have a small room, the bookshelf reference speakers will be easier to setup and cheaper. i will suggest that you get 3 pairs of studio20 and buy a very good subwoofer.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think I'd have to agree with DavidY, 40s up front and 20s for the rears. You should have no problem with them filling your room with the 3801.
    Reminds me of Fight Club "Whatever happens, at least I have that sofa thing taken care of..." and of course "The things you own, end up owning you" hehehe. I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade either, as I am lusting after a Studio setup myself, but I too must save for a house, so I know where you are coming from [​IMG]

15. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

16. Mike Veroukis

Michael

17. Martin Rendall

I really wonder about the claims that you need lots of power for the 100's. Since I run my 100 WPC amp with the volume far from at max, I have to assume that I'm sending less than 100 Watts to each speaker. Yet music comes out, and it sounds good. Given the sensitivity ratings of the studio line, you don't need 200 watts to get started.

I think the reason people go on about needing larger amps is because the larger amps generally sound much better. That's because you're buying Rotel or Parasound or whatever. And the Studio speakers respond to better quality amps very well.

If you're going to be playing music at 11, then yes, a big huge amp is essential. But if you are interested in still having hearing a year from now...

Regards,

Martin.

18. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

james

i cant add any new insight, just to say that i auditioned the monitor vs the 60's, and they killed the monitor 11's with ease!

i than listened to the much pricier 100's and (sorry) couldnt hear that kind of a difference anymore.

what i mean is, studio line rocks, whichever model!

the 3802 drives the set with ease, as will your 3801.

good luck!

19. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

My 2 cents on the 100's and power reqts. I don't own them, but I have auditioned them a number of times at different places and with different gear. I agree that with a receiver (probably the 3801 included but never tried this one), you'll get very enjoyable sound with the 100's, and I suspect a non-negligible improvement versus the monitor series. However, I also observed a noticeable improvement when the 100's were driven with a decent amp (let's say 150W+) versus the 3801 class of receivers.
    There is no doubt in my mind that going either route (100's or amp) will be a positive, noticeable improvement, and either one can lead to eviction [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Doug

20. Martin Rendall

So here's a question for you then: what if you drove your 100's with an extremely high quality expensive 40 watt tube amp? Would it automatically sound like crap on the 100's because the amp doesn't go to 200 watts?

Martin.