If you were looking for a changer, would you spend the extra $$ for DVD capability ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Sep 8, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

If you were looking for a CD changer, would you spend the extra $$ for DVD capability ? (I already own a dvd player)

2. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Not me. I considered it - briefly. I have the Sony 400 CD changer with the LCD remote and it works great for CDs. In many ways, it's a cost effective way to store your discs and it saves space. I just place the cd cases in a box in the closet. I have a binder for the cd pamphlets for additional organization, but the remote is great for that. PLUS, it's a great way NOT to let your cds go to waste. I listen to cds that I would have otherwiise been too lazy to get out to listen to on a single disc player.
    However, these benefits don't translate well for DVDS!
    Here are the cons:
    1) Guests like to browse through the "collection" before selecting a movie to watch
    2) It's not often that you're going to be watching a bunch of movies. Each viewing, for most people, is a mini event, so taking a disc out of its case is part of preparing for the show.
    3) New progressive scan players out there that may outperform your DVD changer.
    4) It's weird to mix up your cds and dvdsThing is that, when I watch a movie, I don't mind taking it out to watch. Guests like to browse through the "selection" as well. (Although you CAN make a binder for the sleeves).
    5) what if it breaks? When in repair, you'll be without cds or DVDs! IF you have a CD/DVD that breaks, you'll have to pull out all of your dvds and borrow a dvd player just in case you're going to have guest over.
    6) Easier to loan out a dvd rather than look for the DVD case somewhere.
    7) You're going to run out of space, buy another CD/DVD changer and have a mixure of both across 2 players.
    8) COST
    These are just reasons for myself.
    Elbert

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Elbert, you're convincing me to go with my original option of getting a CD only player. (I know "the wife" likes this idea becuase it costs less money, [​IMG] ). Thanks for your input...By the way how is the sound quality of your player ?

4. Elbert Lee

Anthony - I have the SONY CDCX450, which is their regular (NON ES Line) 400 disc changer with the LCD remote. I purchased the 300 disc ES Changer (retails at $700) for my girlfriend 2 years ago. It, too has the same LCD remote. The remote is great since it displays the names of your cds (1-400) and these players can be linked to other Sony disc changers giving you up 1-1200 cd controls off of on remote!
    At the time, the ES was the only CD changer on the market with the LCD remote. When the non-ES was available under $400, I went for it.
    SOUND QUALITY. - To be honest - you aren't going to hear much of a difference if you use the OPTICAL output to your receiver. Just as long as you have a receiver with good quality DACs, there really is no difference between Sony's ES and non ES changers. Build quality is the same except that the ES has better DACS (which you wouldn't be using if you use the optical out) and a 5 year warranty.
    Frankly, I was glad to have the non-es for my system because it offered an additional 100 discs. I love it. I never really did that much music listening before I got the CX450 and now I find it fun to use especially with the convenience of the LCD remote (I can scroll through my titles without having to look it up)
    Sony offers a free matching black keyboard ($50 value) as a rebate for these CD Changers. In reality, any PS/2 compatible keyboard will work when entering in your titles.
    For $399, you can get the CX450 (it may be even cheaper now) and the CX400 (same without LCD remote) is $299.
    The arguably BEST DVD Progressive Scan player out there can be had for under $500 (panasonic RP91) and it features DVD Audio! Of course, there are even cheaper DVD players that feature progressive scan and will STILL offer better video performance to all of the DVD/CD changers out there simply because of its progressive scan capabilities.
    A CD/DVD changer would run you at least $700, so, by going with separates, you can get a progressive scan dvd player, superior video, and DVD Audio for relatively little more and, in some cases, a few hundred dollars cheaper compared to some of the other higher end DVD/CD changers out there.
    So, if you can try to convince your wife to go along with a separates package for around $900 instead of a dvd/cd combo with an average of $900-$1200 in price.
    Elbert
    BTW - I have the $3500 SONY SCD777ES sacd/cd player and I have to say that, while it does sound better than the CX450 changer, by using the digital outputs of each, the sound quality narrowed dramatically. There is a small, but noticable difference between both of them (using the DACS in my Denon 5800 receiver), but not enough for me to pull out the disc to place in the single "tray" SCD777es player.
    [Edited last by Elbert Lee on September 08, 2001 at 06:15 PM]

5. LARUE

LARUE Stunt Coordinator

Elbert,
    Will the SONY CDCX450 allow you to use a scanner to input CD info? There was alot of talk last year about that feature (using a bar-code scanner from RatShack).
    thanks,
    LARUE

6. Elbert Lee

LARUE - I don't know, although you never know with its PS/2 input on the front. I suspect that a database would be needed, though. It's title and artist inputs accept text only, so perhaps you can scan text, but I think it's hardly worth the effort. I know that it does recognize text on CDs with the text encoded - It will display the title, album, song titles, etc. For older cds, you have to manually input them in.
    Elbert

7. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

A 5 disk changer works for me. It's a Pioneer Elite DV-C36 dvd changer.
    It has a great picture, and I feed the digital output through a Monarchy II processor, the audio is very good for everything! I have no need to use the analog outputs.
    It also has progressive video, but I can not take advantage of that and would use a player with 3:2 pull down if I was going that route.
    But at just under $400 it does everything I need and performs well while doing it.

8. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Elbert,
    I have the old Sony CX250. It allows text input, but can not read it from the disc. Also, the only way to scroll through the CDs is numerically according to the order in which they are placed in the player.
    Despite these limitations, I love my megachanger. What I would like is better access to the discs, once they are in the player.
    Do the newest Sony megachangers allow alphabetical scrolling regardless of their relative physical positioning?
    Do they output any type of on screen messages for searching?
    Also, once you enter the name for an old disc that does not have its name or other info encoded, can the machine remember the disc, even when placed in a different slot?
    It is difficult for me to keep my discs in order as it gets close to filled.
    Any user interface info would be appreciated.
    Shade