What's new

If you were buying a Porsche 911 Turbo... (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
If you were buying a Porsche 911 Turbo, would you get it with the six speed manual transmission or the Tiptronic S transmission? Why?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
that would be a sin to buy a beast like that and not have a 6 speed in it.

Jeff

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
6 Speed then I would send it to RUF in Germany and have them do thier thing.

Saw a show on the history channel about the AUTOBAHN. The guys from RUF take the Finished cars for a final run on the BAHN before giving it to the customer. I think the car that they were driving was a 996 that topped out at 212 MPH at 7200 RPM. HOLY YOU KNOW WHAT.

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
I can't imagine why a car like the 911 turbo even comes with an automatic!

Actually, in many cars, turbocharged engines and automatic transmissions get along fairly well together. But the Tiptronic is, and always has been, a seriously crappy gearbox. Take a look at any performance comparisons between 968s, 993s, or 996s with Tiptronic versus manual gearboxes. You end up losing as much as two seconds to 60 MPH.

If you want to buy a car in this range without a stick shift, you need to be looking at models equipped with the Maserati Cambiocorsa or Ferrari F1 gearboxes. Unlike the Tiptronic, these are true 6-speed gearboxes with computer-controlled shifters and clutches. Tiptronic Porsches are strictly for the gold-chain set.

Oh, and BTW, those Maseratis are literally gathering dust at Ferrari dealers. It might be worth your while to go for a test-drive in one before making a final decision on the 996TT. The Maserati will definitely be cheaper.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
why, in the name of all that is holy, would you even dare to ask such a question!

6 Speed then I would send it to RUF in Germany and have them do thier thing.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
or maybe gemballa?

btw - please tell me you all correct people when they prounounce porsche wrong! it's one of my all-time pet peeves....such a car should not be sacrileged like that.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Sports cars and old american muscle cars are meant to have 3 foot pedals. Period.

If you want the car to do the work for you, buy a different car.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
god, I wouldn't even consider the possibility of an automatic WRX, let alone a machine like the turbo 911

(an automatic by any other name is still a damn automatic)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
You know what sickens me, is BMW is going to discontinue the Z8 (4.9L M5 engine, 6 sp manual in a roadster), and replace it with a DE-tuned Alpina roadster that has an upgraded BMW 4.4 engine with an AUTOMATIC tranny. What the hell are they thinking? I guess people with $130k to spare don't want manuals.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The Z8 never had the impact BMW wanted. It had the appeal of an overpriced Z3 with the (lack of) marketing to back it up.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
If you want to buy a car in this range without a stick shift, you need to be looking at models equipped with the Maserati Cambiocorsa or Ferrari F1 gearboxes.
isn't the F1 style box boiled down to being a standard gearbox that is electrically driven? solenoids or the like?
in a very, very general form?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
The Porsche SUV is the ONLY Porsche with a automatic that I would even remotely consider buying. Getting a 911 Turbo with a automatic would be like Michael Jordan being forced to play in combat boots.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Take a look at any performance comparisons between 968s, 993s, or 996s with Tiptronic versus manual gearboxes. You end up losing as much as two seconds to 60 MPH.
Not anymore.

This is from Porsche's website:

Performance Manual/Tiptronic S

Top speed (mph) 305 km/h (190)/298 km/h (185)
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 4.2 secs/4.9 secs
0-160 km/h (0-99 mph) 9.2 secs/10.6 secs
Flexibility 80-120 km/h (50-75 mph) 5.0 secs/6.0 secs (5th/4th gear)

However, I too agree manual transmission is much better for a car like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks