What's new

If you think the cassette format is dead, think again.... (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I figure I will top my Panasonic tube car CD player post from a year ago. This is just sooooooooo amusing.....

Here's the info. Yes, you're right....a cassette tape drive for your PC. No Dolby NR though.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with the seller in any way, shape, or form. :D

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
How about an AM/FM radio tuner shaped like a car radio that plugs into a PC drive slot too?

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
There are just soooo many things wrong with this. Why would anybody think this was a good idea?

It's like selling wooden wagon wheels that you can install on a BMW.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Even better, how about one of those AM only car radios with the hard-push present buttons, that plugs into your PC through firewire?

But that this is pretty funny. One of my friends is an adament cassette buyer, and he freaks out whever we go to a Virgin Megastore or Bestbuy and they don't have a cassette section:D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has over 300 albums on cassettes, most of which will never ever be released on CD, this PC cassette deck is actually a great idea. But $235.00??

Maybe Nakamichi will consider offering their version on this PC cassette deck??

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
Danny

Just go to a pawn shop and buy a good old Cassette deck, get a phono to rca (stereo) Y cable and record from the deck to your sound cards line in. I'll only cost you $50. I've recorded from cassette for my mom in the past.

Heck send me your tapes and I'll convert them for only $100 ;)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I think they're just trying to get in on the market of people that have some cassettes laying around that need to be converted to CD or mp3. I've got a couple of recorded radio shows, etc, lying around on tapes that I never hear because they're on tape. I would probably run a patch cable and record via my soundcard, though.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the eBay seller has luck selling the darn thing....someone must think that there's demand for a PC cassette deck.

David,

I actually have a cassette deck....not too shabby of one considering it was the top-of-the-line Sony deck in the early 90s (3 heads, 3-motors, dual capstan closed loop drive). Just too lazy to drag it out of its retirement. :D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I stille have one cassette deck. It has microphone inputs, so I plugged it into the analog input jacks of an MD deck to provide the desired inputs for live recordings. I made my unusual cassettes into MD's or CD's long ago. I used cassettes for about 30 years and I'm sick of 'em! Just tired of the format...

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Just been digitizing some cassettes today as it happens. Using an old (1990) Technics dual deck I bought with me from England (and consequently running it on an AC voltage converter). I have a patch cord running from the RCA outs on the cassette deck to a stereo mini in jack on my computer soundcard. I use Windows Media Encoder to make WMAs at CD bit rates. I think I'll make MP3s as well (anyone got any suggestions for MP3 encoders?).

The tapes I am copying are old tapes of my college band. I also have some old pre-recorded stuff I can't find on CD.

N

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
My cassette deck is so old I can't remeber what brand it is. But I think it was a dual deck Technics as well. It was the second component I purchased back in High School. My first was a Onkyo Stereo reciever (1988). I got a Onkyo CD player (6 disc changer) in early 90. What's amazing is that I still have the cassette deck but no longer have the other two components. I don't have a single cassette that I would want to listen to. Heck, I hardly even listen to my old CDs that much. God do I wish I had some of that money back. Why oh why did I buy Enuff Znuff and Yingway Malmsteen (sp). Thats $35 wasted bucks.;)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You can do the same thing and get a better result in this fashion.

Pick up the Pioneer Tape player that has a 10 bit processor, use Dolby B or C run it through the line in of your computer, Pick up Get it on CD or any software that converts wav files to MP3 and your done.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think that PC Cassette thing is cool. :) I wonder if it reads data casettes from the old Atari 400 and Radio Shack computers. I used to have some good stuff!

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
Ha, ha, ha. Philip. :) I remember waiting for the game "Pulsar" to load from cassette on my friends TI99 back in elementary school. That's actually the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thing. I remember thinking it was pretty cool that you could use a "regular" cassette with a computer.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Wow... I am old...

My wife and I have THOUSANDS of cassettes. Most are store bought, but many, many, many are "home audio" and recordings of things I dont want to lose...

You can turn them into WAVs??? But each song wouldnt be a different wav? would it? Each album would just be one long sound file?

Regardless, I think this is way beyond my technical abilities...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

:D I have the TI-99/4A as well....attached to a Sony portable cassette player/recorder that actually had those 3 jacks required as a cassette drive. Those good old days....when 16K RAM was near state-of-the-art. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks