What's new

If you think DVD is good, HDTV is better... (1 Viewer)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Just wanted to share a recent reappraisal of formats!
While I love DVD output on my widescreen TV, full quality widescreen HDTV blows it away in terms of quality.
I got a Samsung HDTV tuner box and had an antenna installed in the attic and get digital channels over the air (OTA) for free... it's amazing. CBS does football games in widescreen HDTV and their primetime shows are mostly in that format too. ABC is doing quite a lot in HDTV now also... (Mel Gibson in Ransom tonight is HDTV - WOW). The qualiy is astounding. MUCH more detailed than DVD.
DVD is great, but there's limits to what only 480 lines can produce.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just installed my Samsung box today, already had the antenna, and I must say as well it is quite good. Hard to look at regular TV which I thought had good reception - kind of like going from VHS to better than DVD quality.

MickB

Agent
Yes, HDTV is amazing! DVD's are not quite as exciting anymore. The reference show is on PBS: Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa. Now if only Fox would wake up and buy 1080I equipment. It is a crime that the World Series is not being broadcast in HDTV!!

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the HDTV world... the future of tv looks good, huh?
If you have Dish or Directv you really have to check out those HDTV channels. You will then really see the difference between DVD and HDTV. Do a comparison and you'll be impressed with HD HBO. =) If there was only more HDTV on Directv.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't have HDTV, but I walked into a Sony store one day (this was a while back) and they were displaying some soap opera in HDTV and I have NEVER seen anything like it. HDTV is amazing!

J

John Morris

I heartily second what Paul and others have seen and said here. I am constantly watching shows in HD over possibly better ones that are in only SD. Those other ones get recorded on one of our Replay TV units for viewing when there is absolutely nothing on HDTV. And to think that the OTA HD is absolutely free... well, except of course for the thousands spent on equipment! :)
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No argument here. I am continually amazed at the picture quality of HDTV. I just wish there was more programming that I cared about being broadcast. I'm not a big fan of primetime network TV, nor TV broadcasts of films (edited for content and commercials). That being said, I'm going to give NYPD Blue another chance this season.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks