What's new

If you love something... (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
...set it free.
If it comes back to you, its yours.
If its dosen't, hunt it down and kill it.

Words of wisdom from a office co-worker. I though it was funny as hell so I figured I'd share.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hmmm, death and religion in one thread...
Let me be the first to say: In before the lock!! :D
(I've never posted "IBTL" before. It's about time I did.)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, I used to have a poster (a parody of the original, natch) with that saying on it. That and Deteriorata ("You are a fluke of the universe / You have no right to be here.")

Looks like there won't be a lock, because whatever was religious in the thread has been edited into oblivion. Wasn't aware that there was a ban on "death" except insofar as that tempts people into discussing what may come after.

Regards,

Joe

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Looks like there won't be a lock, because whatever was religious in the thread has been edited into oblivion. Wasn't aware that there was a ban on "death" except insofar as that tempts people into discussing what may come after.
That was the original post.

Im not sure where the original saying came from. If it was religious and somehow im slandering someones religion please mods close this thread with great swiftness and feel free to publicly flog me.

Nobody else though this was funny but me? I guess I have a sick sense of humor.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If you love something..... Lock it in a fire-proof safe far from the prying eyes of thieves and beggars.

"Oh my precsiouusssssss....You are mine.....Muha ha ha ha ha ha"

(I am of course refrencing my out of print (OOP) Criterion DVD's)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Im not sure where the original saying came from. If it was religious and somehow im slandering someones religion
The original saying ("If you love something, set it free/ if it comes back to you, it was meant to be/ ... etc.") comes from one of those hippy dippy posters they sold in head shops and through catalogs in the late 1960s and early '70s. No dorm room wall was complete without a couple of them. It had no religious purpose or meaning, so you're not insulting anybody. Heck, Sting made a song out of it, so it is whatever its origins it would have to be considered secular mainstream by this time.

Desiderata arguably does have a religious connection, which is why I didn't quote the original, only the parody. But the story about its being found in some church in Baltimore and dated sometime in the 1600s is malarkey. It was written by one of the church's pastors or a parishoner and printed in the church's mimeographed newsletter in the 1950s.

Regards,

Joe

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
A sign hanging in my cubicle at work:

"Life is tough.
Even tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne"

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Allan, neither I nor my buddies are in any mood to flog you publicly, and I sure as hell don't see any theological implications in that old 1960s saying. Looks as if you've made it through another day with your HTF membership intact. So, carry on. :)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Let us not forget the wisdom of George Carlin:
"If you love someone, set them free; if they come back, set them on fire."
Sorry, I just had to mention that. :)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
...Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself...
Desiderata

...good words for forum posters and watchful admins to live by

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Some words for the more cynical posters and admins to live by :)
Go placidly amid the noise and the waste and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and passive persons unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself and heed well their advice even though they be turkeys; know what to kiss and when. Consider that two wrongs never make a right but that three lefts do. Whenever possible, put people on hold. Be comforted that in the face of all aridity & disillusionment and despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big fortune in computer maintenance.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, & urban renewal, the world continues to deteriorate.
Give up.

From - Tony Hendra, "Deteriorata", The National Lampoon (c) 1972
Regards,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks