1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

If you listen to Metal or Hard Rock, list your setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_M, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to know what type of equipment people who listen to hard rock or heavy metal are using.
    I find a lot of the music I listen to sounds very harsh on my setup. Could be bad recordings or my selection of equipment.

I currently have:

Denon 1802
    Panasonic RP-82
    JBL S310's (fronts)
    JBL S38's (rears)
    JBL S-Center
    JBL PB12 (sub)

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

my setup:

ead theatermaster encore
    aragon 8008bb
    aragon 8008x3b
    pioneer dv-c302d
    panamax max2000
    mirage frx-7
    mirage frx-c
    mirage frx-r
    no sub (soon to be: adire audio rava)

kevin t

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

My setup...

Anthem AVM-20 Processor
    Anthem MCA-5 (170X5)
    Sony SCD-555ES SACD/CD player
    Paradigm Studio Series all around (40's/20's/CC)
    Mirage BPS-100 sub (soon to be replaced by ACI Titan II LE)

Doesn't sound harsh here at all unless the recording sucks.

4. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Evan, how do you like that 555ES? I was considering getting that for a personal X-MAS gift [​IMG]
    A buddy of mine has Paradigm 100's. I'll have to see if I can borrow his speakers and try them at home.

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jo, I heard the 555 was discontinued, so run, don't walk, to get it right now! I paid $800 for mine and would re-buy it again at that price even knowing now that it sells for far less.

I actually run the CD connections digitally to the AVM-20 because even though the DAC's in the 555 are great, the ones in the AVM-20 are superior IMO. However, for SACD run analog, you cannot touch the sound this thing puts out. It's pure heaven. Very much recommended.

Just to let you know, my music collection for metal/hard rock spans the gamut including Queensryche, Priest, Crue, Kiss, Metallica, Dokken, GNR, Cinderella, Dokken, Extreme, Dream Theater, Kyuss, Megadeth, Ozzy, and Pantera just to name a few...sounds great on the 555.

6. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

The only player I can find is the CDP-555ES which is the 400 disc changer. No one seems to have the SCD version.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Player: Sony 555 ES
    Receiver: NAD T-751
    Speakers: B&W 602

Although I purchased the B&Ws for their sound in handling acoustic instruments (for jazz), they do have the power for the heavy stuff (I listen to Dream Theater, Deep Purple, Opeth, Pantera, Megadeth, Tool, and many many others). However, that was admittedly not my primary concern.

One day, when I'm employed again and fabulously wealthy, I'll get a pair of kick-ass Nautilus speakers and a kickin' amp. Until then, I shall pine...

8. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I'll have to go and check out the B&W's too.

9. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

Mostly hard rock -

Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX
    Panasonic RV-32K
    PSB Century 500i L,R
    PSB Stratus C5
    PSB Ambient II rears
    PSB Century Subsonic 2i

Very happy with it, sub doesn't go quite as deep as I'd like but even at very high volume levels (+6 db, 3+ hours for a party once) it doesn't sound harsh.

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jo, have you tried Oade brothers? (www.oade.com). They would probably be your best bet. If they don't have any left, they can recommend a similar model I bet. They have great service and prices and are an authorized Sony dealer.
    Edit: they still list the SCD-555ES on their website

11. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

There is a less than six month used one at Audiogon for $475 obo and includes four SACD's
    Just posted today.

12. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

I listen to hard rock/metal about 95% of the time and own about 800 hard rock/metal CD's. Here's what I'm listening with:
    Sony MDP-510 (Old lasedrisc player which I'm using as a transport only and something which I hope to be supplementing with a dedicated CD player soon)
    Sony STR-DE945
    Polk RT55i
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Polk PSW450
    A modest setup which suits my modest audiophile/home theater requirements rather well. I try to just enjoy my music/movies as much as I can rather than try to go off the deep end with the sound quality analysis bit. I know there are much better setups than mine, but I prefer to be investing in more software rather than worry about my hardware at this point. I'm also content to sit on the sidelines with DVD-A/SACD until more hard rock/metal recordings become available and some of the bass management/hardware interface solutions get sorted out. YMMV.
    Jo_M,
    I'm curious, can you list some examples of the recordings which sounded harsh to you? Perhaps some people can provide feedback as to whether it might be the recording or not.
    While I try to stay away from over-analysis, I can tell you, as an example, that the Judas Priest remasters cause my ears to start buzzing when I listen to them while the original issue versions do not. Plenty of other CD's that are being newly released or newly remastered seem to suffer from this quality as well, unfortunately. You can read plenty about this in other threads on this board and at www.stevehoffman.com if you want more details.
    Hope this helps you out,
    Dan

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I based my A/V system [no I don't have one for music & one for movies] on playing 70's rock from 80's CD.
    Talk about harsh!
    First rule in audio [video, as well, IMO]; the room is the 'first' component.
    Taking this into account, I went from 12" woofers in the main's to 6 1/2" woofers and besides tighter better bass, got a less 'muddy/boomy' overall presentation as well.
    Second rule [some people believe first]; garbage in, garbage out.
    This means a lot of different things, too a lot of different people. My take, on my system, was to 'clean-up' digital playback.
    Many people who have systems 'set-up' for analog [primarily records] "hate" CD. Well I found that to be true as well. If you system is 'set-up' to play records, digital playback just won't 'shine'. Different requirement entirely.
    So, to improve digital play-back, I attacked the power. With Tributaries outlets & plugs, Vans Evers power cords & line conditioners.
    Smoothed very thing out with increased detail.
    Amp's are from B&K, renown for a open, yet sparkling, top end. As well as being balanced throughout the frequency range. Very important to be 'neutral' for digital playback, IMO.
    Speakers are Lineaum, using a quasi-ribbon tweeter. This is the only speaker in the world that produces less distortion the higher the frequency range. And is made from mylar, making it extremely fast, and therefore accurate.
    Stay away from metal, for digital playback IMO.
    At one time had a tube preamp stage, but lost it when going to multi-channel system in 98.
    Tube's are great for rock. That's why you see so many tube amp's for guitarist.

I don't think a list of someone else's equipment will do much for you, other than opening your eyes to the possibilities out there. Just like mine where opened when I work at an A/V store.
    Find your problem, and attack!
    For bang for the buck, as well as improving both A/V & all aspects of playback [detail, soundstage, etc...], I found Vans Evers line conditioning to be the best.
    Good luck.
    And keep on rocking!

14. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

Klipsch KLF-20 mains
    KLF-C7 center
    KSP-S6 surrounds

Sony STR-DE935 reciever
    Sony CDP-CX350 CD Player
    Panasonic DVD-RA60 dvd audio player

samson s1000 amp
    svs 16-46cs+ x2

15. Wilson W

Wilson W Agent

cd: meridian 500
    dac: meridian 563
    turntable: vpi junior
    pre amp: audible illusions modulus 3
    power amp: forte 4
    speakers: martin logan aerius

a dinosaur system that still sound quite well

16. Dereck Graefer

JBL S310II for mains.
    Using 4 Klipsch promedia speakers for centers and surrounds until I can aford JBL's to match my mains

Yamaha RX-V730
    Using my PC as a source until I save more money for actual components.

17. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the responses, it's great to see what other equipment is being used for metal/rock music.

Dan Stone, the harshness and maybe I'm using the wrong term is mostly from the cymbals, to me it's sounds a little shrill. Maybe that's how it really sounds. My speakers do an excellent job with most recordings (very lifelike) but I think most of my metal CD's sound bad. For example, Metallica, the black album. This should have been decently produced (i would think) and it sounds fine in my car, on the computer (probably due to more generic speakers) etc but on my JBL's the cymbals just sound harsh. I got the DVD-A version of the black album and to me the vocals seemed like they were placed further back then the instruments, I prefer the vocals front and center. On Sad But True I thought the drums sounded weak like the mike was too far away. I really need to take more time to listen to some other systems.

18. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

Jo The 4oo disc changer is the CDP M555ES.

19. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

The drums on Sad But True sound terribly weak. Even on my super juiced up car stereo.

20. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I'd have to check the sounds on Cunning Stunts. I think that DVD had some punch. "One" has some good stuff too, I'd love for them to release "...And Justice" on DVD-A.