If you have seen the movie Dead Ringers, PLEASE reply to this!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Randolph, Dec 11, 2002.

1. John Randolph

John Randolph Stunt Coordinator

My parents still care what movies I watch, and I need to know why Dead Ringers is rated R. If you've seen it, PLEASE reply. Don't deprive me of a good movie [​IMG]

2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

(This should probably be in the movies section by the way)

Well, where to start.

I'm sure there's some language in there (although I don't specifically recall any), and there is quite of bit of R-rated sex, as well as some goriness towards the end and a overall disturbing quality to the film.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Any movie that uses the F word more than once or twice gets an R, and Dead Ringers qualifies. Aside from that there is lots of gore, weirdly bizarre medical instruments, heavy drug content, and this film can easily creep out even the most jaded viewer--it's one of my favorite horror films.

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Well, they already covered it above, but I'll add that David Cronenberg is an absolute genius, and this is one of his best films! Cronenberg is a master of horror, and this classic is total proof of such a statement! [​IMG]

5. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Lots of "weird" sex (bondage during sex, possibly homosexual contact between brothers, sex involving a mutant). There's also a rather violent gynocological exam, as well as rampant drug use. If your parents care about the presence of such depicitions as a general rule (no matter the quality of the film or the use of those depictions in that film), then Dead Ringers is sure to be a no-no for you. My father, on the other hand, thinks that Dead Ringers is too weird for him, but he could care less what I watch. Of course, I'm well above any age at which he could assert any control, anyway. [​IMG] That aside, my father took me too see many wonderful R-rated films when I was fairly young. It's one of the many things about him that I find so wonderful as I get older and consider my life with him thus far.
    DJ

7. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Tell your parents you want to see Naked Lunch instead. Much better Cronenberg movie (maybe his best, apart from Videodrome, which definitely has a lot of sexual content that might give your parents pause ... )

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

How disturbing is this movie? I took my mother to this film -- in what has to be the stupidest move of my collegiate life -- and it took years of innocuous comedies (think the "Grumpy Old Men" films) to win her back to realizing I have good taste in film.

10. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

Funny how this thread seems to have gone from whether or not a parent should let their kid watch this to whether or not a kid should let their parent watch it [​IMG]

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Everyone has pretty much covered why this movie gets an ‘R’. Actually a better discussion would be how it avoided an ‘X’.

Don’t get me wrong, as I think that this is a very fine movie indeed. For anyone interested in acting technique, Jeremy Irons puts on a tour-de-force performance. He plays both twins and also each twin pretending to be the other twin. The Criterion edition has an interesting extra on how Cronenberg and Suschitzky (DP) filmed Irons when both twins were in the same scene.

While I don’t know your age, I would find this film inappropriate for younger teens and some in the 15–16 year-old range.

13. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

Another bit of advice, John. If you get to watch the movie, never, ever, ever watch this movie with a date. [​IMG]

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

15. John Randolph

John Randolph Stunt Coordinator

16. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

John,
    You sound like a fairly mature 14 with an interest in film, so if your parents let you I think you might like Dead Ringers. It is one of those films that will stick in your mind for a few days after watching it.

One thing about this film is that it works on many levels and each viewing, especially if some months or years elapse between viewings will be almost like watching a different movie each time.