If you have good speakers, receiver - will a good DVD player help the sound?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kenneth Harden, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

As in, I have a cheap Sony DVD player and am using the coaxial digital out into a Harman Kardon AVR 635 with Klipsch's at the business end.

Will getting a better DVD player do anything to improve the sound quality in DD/DTS?

I am honestly not sure.

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    As long as you're running things digitally and you don't have any transport issues (discs not being read or getting stuck), AND you don't plan on dropping 15000$ on amps and speakers in the immediate future, I don't think you'll get any improvement for DD/DTS, as the receiver is doing all the work. Another player may improve your picture, be more reliable, better looking, sound better with CDs via analogue (if you were to use that method) but if the only thing that concerns you right now is DD/DTS, a new player is unlikely to change anything.

3. John S

John S Producer

You will get opinion each way on this. Probably only at the very highest end could a real improvement be detected.

I mean the entire system being at the very high end, not just a component here and there in the system.

4. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

In today's audio/video systems, the most accurate componenets are always the CD/DVD player and amplifier. Speakers and video displays all have their own very noticeable characteristics, but CD/DVD players and amplifiers are accurate within tiny fractions of percentages of distortion and frequency response.

IMO, changing your DVD player, regardless of how much you spend will change the performance of your system the least of any component (other than cables, but that's another subject). Also, IMO, the appearance of the player, unless you are interested in impressing your friends, is a non-issue. When it comes to reliability, I believe a $30 Apex player will outperform a megabuck "handbuilt" player. If you're concerned about reliability of your Sony, you can keep one of those $30 Apex's in your closet as a spare--or install it in your system to play your Kodak picture CD's or virtually any format, which your Sony won't do.

Just another opinion, hopefully to amuse or inform you from a fellow enthusiast who has been in this so long I built my first vacuum tube Arkay amplifier and Electrovoice Aristocrat speaker enclosure with a coax 12TRXB speaker. It is absolutely amazing how technology has improved since that time!!

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Good!

However, I want a universal player at some point.

The Sony is not progressive scan (fine on a 27" JVC!), so I will wait until I buy a new TV to upgrade.