What's new

If you have a non-progressive rptv will s-video cables be worth it? (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a non-progressive rptv will s-video cables be worth it or will the results not be noticable. How about Composite cables (or whatever they are called).

The only thing I don't like about my rptv is it's not progressive scan (you pay for what you get).

Is there any tweaks that will help get the most out of my rptv.

{Sorry if this subject has been brought up in another thread - I did a search on S-video cables and came up with 30 pages).

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Progressive scan requires a COMPONENT video, not an S-video. That said, S-Video is the way to go for your needs.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I was just curious - I have all the cables but was wondering if the "pipe" would only be half full anyway.

Why use S-Video if there is no diff in quality. Even though my set is 480i it looked great on an analog broadcast anyway. I think if I went bigger like a 50 inch set I would want 480p but in a tempory (5 year) 43 inch set I thought 480i was good enough.

After all - stale bread tastes just as good as grilled pork chops to a starving man!

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Their is a 20% increase in quality from regular composite vs. S-video, then probably another 5% from

S-video to non progressive component video. You really aren't comparing the proper things here. Progressive scan has nothing to do with compenet or svideo aside from the fact that you need a component input and cable to display progressive scan. I currently have S-video going from my Dish receiver to my Sasmung HDTV and component video going from my regular non progressive DVD. My progressive DVD is on the way and rest assured, it will be connected via component input and cables.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Rod, component cables are VERY noticeable for DVD over the RCA connection, but less over the s-video. Thing is, an s-video cable is about 20 bucks, and even a cheap set of video cables from Radio Shack to use for component is only $7.99. You don't have to buy their $25 or $30 set to see an improvement. Even cheap cables are good when the length is 6' or less.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Hmmm, I guess I should clarify. If you can use component cables, then get at least the cheap ones to use it over anything else. If the highest output is s-video, then by all means use that. Composite is TERRIBLE even compared to the RCA-jacks input, so s-video should be like night and day, even on a 480i source.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
On a DVD player, component video is the straightforward (native) output, everything else is a convenience output the DVD player goes out of its way to make. (If there is no component output, the S-video is as straightforward as can be.)
Try not to use composite from a DVD player, I know that there are different ways of generating it where the quality can vary widely but don't know what makes and models do it best. And the quality the TV gets out of composite input varies widely, notably in the comb filter.Quality deficiencies are notably in the form less crisp color boundaries, and/or off centered or discolored smaller color details.
Progressive scan does not exist in S-video or composite video form.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks - I had Composite and Componet mixed up (I was so stupid a few days ago LOL). I took out a loan and purchased Componet cables that will run from the DVD to the rptv!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks