What's new

If you have a dedicated power do you need a conditioner? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I'm looking at putting a dedicated line in for my Hometheatre and was wondering when this is done would I still need a power line conditoner?
Kevin

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
YES
I have 2 dedicated 12 AWG circuits on a new sub-panel for my basement HT
................... and I can still tell my son has left his crappy halogen dimmer light on in his bedroom.
Absolutely all large appliances OFF, and no dimmer lights left on when I am listening in the basement.
The audible improvements are immense (the RPTV's color saturation improved too) with dedicated circuits.
But you still must be dilligent about the HF nasties in the home.
I recommend you not ditch your line conditioner. And still buy one if you are currently without.
Dedicated circuits do not mean a brick-wall.
BOK

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Thanks Brian for the input. All I have to do is get up the nerve up to run the line and hookup a circuit. If I'm running a 15AMP breaker should I use 12G wire?? Time to make a trip to my local Home Depot.
Kevin

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
Yep, 15AMP circuit with 12AWG wire run. Just what I have.
Seriously, if you don't feel comfortable with this DIY wire run, please do not hesitate to call in an electrician. Just be safe and follow the code.
And get at least a spec grade outlet. I use two Pass&Seymour 5262A's. Grips like a yard dog, and ALL copper. I recommend them highly. The 5242 and 5253 are also very good but steel is used along with copper with these two.
Best of luck, and happy listening.
BOK

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kevin,
Just make sure any conditioner you use has a higher amperage rating than your amplifiers are rated for. Otherwise they will be starved for current during demanding passages.
If you have never run a circuit before, you might want to pick up an book on residential electrical at the hardware store.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Scott Connor

Auditioning
I have 2 dedicated circuits for my equipment. One for my rack and another for my powered towers. But when I hooked up my cable line a hellish buzz and hum would come out of the speakers. Bought the Monster Cable power strip HTS 1000 which filters the noise. Problem solved. You need a line conditioner. Too much interference in the house. Dedicated circuits is not enough.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I hooked up my cable line a hellish buzz and hum would come out of the speakers.
That sounds like a ground loop, Scott. I’m surprised the HTS 1000 helped.
You might want to check at the breaker panel and see if both your circuits are on the same phase or service leg.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

J

John Morris

Well, Wayne is the guy who walked me through my installation of my two dedicated 20 amp circuits in my HT. Thanks Wayne! And, my amp manufacturer has instructed me to NOT use any type of conditioner nor surge protector with their amps. They have even assured me that they will cover all shipping and repair costs should my amps become damaged, for any reason, during my amps 7 year warranty. My amps are made by ATI.
Finally, when I recently induced hum by running a new analog cable run directly to my TV, and I couldn't find a local Mondial Magic dealer, I simply went down to the local electrical supply shop, where I also bought my HD Antenna and HD Preamp, and bought a couple of Holland CCl-1 Cable Isolators. They work at least as well as my Mondial Magic Box, and they only cost $6.42 each. I'll post a pic as soon as my dig camera batteries are recharged.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks