What's new

If you have a 950 and had to buy any amp but an Outlaw... (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Alex Bischoff
If I had a 950 and I needed an amp, I'd seriously consider the Anthem PVA 7. It offers 105 watts x 7 channels. At $1499, it costs less than the Outlaw 770, and it's already been awarded a Reviewers' Choice award for 2002 as well. Here's a review and an excerpt:
Home Theater & Sound
What’s the verdict? Listening to the Anthem PVA 7 in a stereo configuration was a treat. In fact, I’d even say it’s priced fairly as a two-channel amp. Shop around. Paying this much for two high-quality channels of amplification in a well-built chassis is not a bad deal at all. However, it's not reasonable to buy it like this and have all those other channels go to waste. But in a 5.1 or 6.1 system, the picture changes. It’s a definite bargain even when one or two channels aren't being used. You'll be hard-pressed to match everything it gives you for the same price. The home-theater performance with Dolby Digital/DTS film soundtracks and music listening with DVD-Audio recordings were both exceptional. I could see someone getting it for this type of system and having an expansion path for later if they purchase a 7.1-compatible processor.
I'm probably going to buy an Outlaw 950 (I currently have a 1050). And, its amp will likely either be an Outlaw 770 or an Anthem PVA 7.
---
Alex Bischoff

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I love my Aragon 4004 MKII (for my mains, 2 Prelude MTS), it's a very musical amp and drives the Preludes to ridiculous levels with ease and doesn't even get warm.
My Acurus A200x5 (powering everything else, 4 IL10s and an IL36c) is OK, but lacks the pure power of the Aragon even though they're rated the same (200W @ 8ohms). Can't complain though, I paid $1500 for both used (I love Audiogon :)). Also, considering I only use my center and surrounds for HT, I'm quite satisfied.
AFAIC, Aragon offers one of the best values in music/HT. If you can pickup a mint 4004 MKII for

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Even assuming I'd lose my shirt, it makes me wonder (1) why even the people who claim that amps have a distinct sound can't agree on whether that sound is warm or bright and (2) why I have never seen an advertisement from an amp company where they claim that their amps are bright.
I'd take that bet. :) I've done DBT with my Aragon and Acurus on 2ch sources and could pick out the Aragon 16 out of 20 times (both amps are rated at 200W /ch @ 8ohms). The Aragon is just more, musical... "pluckier" I guess would be a decent term. I'm not saying the Aragon is "warmer" or "brighter", it's just more pleasant to listen to. To be fair, the other two guys I was testing with couldn't tell much (if any) difference between the amps. But considering that it's my system, I'm very sensitive to any changes in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks