If you had to give up your music or film collection, which would go and why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Abba or Altman?
    The Beatles or Bergman?
    Coltrane or Chaplin?
    Of course, a purely hypothetical question:
    If you had to give up your entire music collection (CDs, LPs, MP3s, etc.) or your entire film collection (DVDs, LaserDiscs, VHS, etc.), which would it be? And why?
    Some clarifications:
    * You can still enjoy what you give up, you just can't own any of them. If you keep your film collection, you can still listen to the radio or go to concerts, you just can't own any CDs. Likewise, if you give up your movies, you can still go to the local theater and watch movies on TV, but you can never own a DVD.
    * No cheating: you can't copy all of your CDs to CD-R before dumping them, or employ any other loophole.
    For me, this is a very tough call, but I think I'd give up my movie collection before my music collection. I think the number one reason why is that, for movies, I like seeing new films. So giving up my DVDs, but still being able to see new films at the theater wouldn't be that bad. However, music is more of a repetitive thing.
    Also, "music" is much more portable than "a movie." I listen to music as much as possible at work and go nuts if I forget to bring in a stack of CDs every morning. I can go a week without watching a DVD and only get the shakes a little bit. [​IMG]
    What about you?

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

That's easy. I'd give up my movie collection in a heartbeat. For one thing, I love music. Movies are great, but I don't play movies in the background. I need to sit and watch the movie, which obviously, can take an hour-and-a-half or more. Unfortunately, I don't often have the time to pop in a movie. I can listen to music critically, meaning that I sit and focus on the music, or I can have music play in the background while I do a multitude of other things. As I type, the Chris Botti Night Sessions CD plays in the background. Music rules.

Another reason I would forfeit my movies is that I could rent them anytime I wanted. I can't go to a store and rent a CD, SACD, etc. Finally, I have a much, much larger music collection, so for me, the movie collection is much easier to part with, both emotionally and financially.

4. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

They should all be this easy to answer. The movie collection would go way before my music collection. For one thing, I don't watch that much tv other than the news. Second, any movie you might want to see is available to rent. Finally , my music collection is comprised of mostly quadraphonic reels, quad 8 tracks and long out of print cd's, not to mention all the new DVD-A's , DTS and SACD's I now own. Most of this stuff is very rare and would be impossible to find again. [​IMG]

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Strange, but this is ridiculously easy for me. I could NEVER live without my music collection.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'm one of the few, apparently, that would sooner give up my music collection. For one, I like are playing on the radio all the time. ALso, I could probably replace everything in my music collection with MP3s, and I listen to music on my computer more than in my stereo setup anyway. Rental possibilities are poor with everything P&S on VHS or scratched DVDs. Plus, movies like Star Wars I watch again and again, and it would cost too much to rent everytime I wanted to watch.
    So that's that[​IMG]

7. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

I would give up the movies in a heartbeat. You would have to pry the vinyl, CD's, and tapes out of my cold dead hands.

I wonder how this topic would fair in the Home Theater Software area....

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Naturally I wouldn't want to part with either, but if I had to make the choice my film collection would be the one to go. Music is like a book: you can create your own "film" from it.

9. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

I also would give the movies the heave ho... before the music...

10. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Bye, Bye videos. Music is almost my life's blood. You can't run down to the store and rent music by Pharaoh Sanders or Osibisa and I can take it anywhere I go.

rw

11. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I just couldn't do either.

DVD has opened up such a great option area of sedentary life to me. With the addition of the commentary feature, I find that I'm getting the best formal education that could be offered on the motion picture. In addition, it has replaced commercial and cable television, as the primary source of film entertainment. And this is just the beginning.

Music, whether a person realizes it or not, is an important part of each of our lives. I can say that DVD has supplanted it, in a great way, again, that is just being realized by all of us.