What's new

If you had to choose, Sub or Surrounds?? (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
It is also worth a look into the used market to see what you can find. You could find a nice pair of surrounds for cheap or even a good subwoofer of the quality you are looking for. You might even find your main speakers used and then save a bundle on the whole shebang.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
To me the sub makes the most dramatic difference. Could you imagine watching JP3 w/o a sub???
I would get the mains/sub, but a center is also VERY important. Some movies with a lot of music in the soundtrack make it hard to hear the dialogue if only using mains. Watching "Save the Last Dance" with mains only forced my to go buy a center the next day :)
I second the suggestion on cheap surrounds for the time being. You probably know someone who has a pair of speakers just collecting dust....
Either way you decide you're already hooked!!!

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Mike has a very good point.

if you watch a lot of dialog-intensive DVDs, you have to have a good center, it's much better than the "phantom" solution.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Without a doubt, get the sub first.

Sub is on at least half the time in a movie.

Surrounds are on 5-10% at most.

Easy decision!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Surrounds are on 5-10% at most.
There are movies to which that statistic applies, but for most 5.1 mixes, it's way too low. And for a 2-channel surround mix, the surrounds will be on almost continually.

I've found this thread to be both interesting and educational. Ten years ago, when home surround setups were quite rare, it was the surround speakers that supplied the "gee whiz!" factor. It appears that's changed. From the evidence of this thread, people seem to be more excited about subs. It's an intriguing shift.

M.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
it's not necessarily a matter of how often the surrounds are on, in a good mix they should be on almost all the time, to reproduce ambience. now ambience is great, it's essential, it's what really puts you in the middle of the scene, in the proper environment. however, Bose speakers could reproduce ambience satisfactorily. therefore, the cheap surrounds theory holds up.

the only times when your rear speakers are really getting a workout are much rarer. now, one could argue the same for a sub, but IMO you're most sensitive to that BOOM action then to that little distortion when that rivet pops in your back in U-571...

KevinGS

Stunt Coordinator
Brian

I have to disagree with most and say get the surrounds and centre with your mains.

If you have decent enough mains that produce bass then you're not going to be missing the amazing bass as much than if you didn't have the surrounds and centre.

This is what I have been doing for the past 2 years and now my SVS 16-46+ will be here in a couple of days. Now, I will watch all of my excellent "bass enhanced" movies again, but probably won't be as eager to watch the "bass challenged" movies again.

The point of 5.1 is the surround effects, the bass is icing on the cake.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Whatever mains you get, including the Studio 100s, you'll probably want to buy a good subwoofer first. While the surrounds help 'immerse' you in the experience, a sub will provide a much better 'impact' and improve the quality of sound from your mains.

Even if the mains are big 'full-range' towers, they probably (yes, even the studio 100s) can't reproduce any significant undistorted output at those sub frequencies. (I have large towers which can theoretically go deep, and there is no comparison to a good sub. Even if your mains supposedly extend to like 16 Hz, that doesn't mean anything.) Besides adding a subwoofer will take the major load off the mains, which might make a noticeable reduction in distortion.

Surrounds would be cool too. But you can probably get away with smaller, cheaper ones and trade up. I wouldn't skimp on the sub. And depending on your taste you may or may not want to get a center immediately. (If you do get a center speaker, don't skimp, go with either a Studio CC or another 100.)

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
I subscribe to the buy the sub now, use cheap surrounds temporarily theory. Without surrounds you will defintely lose some ambiance, but without the sub you will be missing out on the impact. Also, don't under estimate the effect the sub will have on music cd's

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Dan V has a good point, and looking back on the thread, I'm surprised nobody mentioned it before...

with a sub, both HT AND music will be enhanced. with surrounds, only the HT part will benefit.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Whatever you buy, make sure you get decent speakers so you don't feel the need to upgarde in 3 months.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I was in a similar situation (I did not a sub and surrounds)and I ended up buying both. Just couldn't do without the either.

Considering that you only have fronts, I would definitely get the rears. Your fronts as well as the ADPs should be capable of handling a lot of bass. The ADPs are amazing for surround effects so I think you will have more enjoyment out of getting the surrounds. I have tried 2ch Dolby and it still sounds pretty good but given a choice of no surrounds and lots of bass or have surrounds and have less bass I'll choose the latter especially if your fronts are higher than the Studio 20s.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Just to do an experiement, I turned my sub off, and put on some music, and I can honestly tell you that a SUB IS NEEDED! YOU NEED ONE! The music was totally lacking bass, and it sounded horrible. So, get the sub first, and you won't regret it.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
As for the centre, I am actually going to go without one to start with
Did everyone miss these two quotes?? If he's saying that he's 70/30 movies/music then a centre is needed before a sub or surrounds. Phantom mode only works if your sitting in the sweet spot(centre). Recommending a sub would only work if his preference was the other way around. Brian, what speakers in the Reference line are you looking at?

Kevin

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Just to do an experiement, I turned my sub off, and put on some music, and I can honestly tell you that a SUB IS NEEDED! YOU NEED ONE! The music was totally lacking bass, and it sounded horrible. So, get the sub first, and you won't regret it.
I think that's why it all depends on what he gets as his mains. You do not need a sub for music if your speakers are capable. It then comes down to preference.

Ultimately you need everything. I would definitely squeeze the center channel in there. The Studio CC isn't too expensive. I don't know how long you plan to wait after your initial purchase but why don't you just buy a cheap sub for now and then when you have the money buy the Servo 15 and place the sub somewhere else. I normally don't recommend doing that of course since I believe in doing things right the first time.

Why don't you just go in for an audition. Pick out your mains and then have them disconnect the sub. And the reconnect the sub and disconnect the rears and then decide which sounded best to you.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Let me update you all on what I am thinking now.

I have decided to go with the Studio 60s for the fronts, and to get both the sub and surrounds. I was originally thinking that I might go with the 100s thus not leaving room in the budget for both the sub(PW2200 now) and surrounds, but with the 60s I can squeeze both in. The main reasons for shying away from the 100s was there size and power needs. Size too was a consideration in going from the Servo15 to the Pw2200, also the comments here recommending the Pw2200 over the Servo15 from a value perspective.

The centre I am afraid will have to wait mostly because I have no where to put it, the top of the TV would only support half the base of the Studio CC. Once I find a livable solution the centre will be next, hopefully no longer than a couple of months.

Thanks again,

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks