If you had the $$, would you pick up the Mark Lev. Ref. 40?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

It sems like a MC-12 on steroids. If price was no obeject what HT/music preamp would you buy?

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

The best that's out there. The OUTLAW 950 [​IMG]

3. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Since I haven't heard the MC-12 or ML-40 (or the Outlaw, for that matter), there is no way I can provide a meaningful answer. Based on past experience with these manufacturers, my guess is that the Levinson will win hands down for music; harder to say for HT.

Larry

4. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I have read, more than once, that the new ML prepro will not have L7. I know there are beta/demo units with L7, but the final version will not, is what I have read.

Rich B.

5. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

The Meridian 861. Who needs Logic 7 when this thing could do the equivalent of Logic 12. Of course, to take full advantage of it, one would need the 800 DVD-A transport and DSP8000 speakers. Digital all the way to the speaker driver.

I think those car stereos are all a scam. A car mfg goes into a deal with a big company (in this case, H/K,) they either go with JBL, Infinity, Lexicon or ML. Probably all designed by the same engineers.

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

ya, the ML car audio system, what a bunch of hype, if the guy in hte commercial wouldn't leave his car b/c it sounds so good, I would hate to see what he has in the house (perhaps he had a Bose system in his last Lexus, and bought and home Bose unit after that??) Car audio can NEVER match a good home unit (My dad use to own a very very high end CAR stereo dealer that, in other words, he catered to Musicians, and movie stars, NOT the Mini trucks, etc, etc...and even he admits that a car stereo can't compare)

back to the topic, Yes, if $ were NO object I would get the ML, no question

7. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Of course, the ML would be mine, sight unseen, sound unheard. If you have your priorities straight (ok, that's out the window - make that audiophile priorities) and could afford it, the decision is a no-brainer. Well, until Jeff Rowland or Ayre come out with a pre/pro.

8. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Ling and Rodney:
    You might want to take a look at The Absolute Sound review of the ML system in the Lexus; or better yet, you should consider listening to it. Comaring this system to your typical audio JBL of Bose system is like, well, comparing ML to JBL or Bose [​IMG]
    Larry
    Edit: Here's a place to start: http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/mlquotations.html

9. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Richard:

10. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I read in some review off ML's site that it would cost approx $ 8 000 to get the same sound from the car (SC 430) [​IMG]
    You're getting a helluva lot of car for the money!! [​IMG]

11. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

BTW, Anyone know what the video display is for on the sep. video switching unit that ML has with the NO.40? It looks like a mini display.

I'm amazed how much things can cost. Afterall, it's some great engineering but come on nearly 40K?? "Thing must be made of gold on the inside" is what my girl says..LOL!

12. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

14. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Merc:

15. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I'd have to say I'd pick one of those up.... Seeing that ML's amps look nothing short of awsome I'd presume his pre-amps would be as good. However I'd hate to see my electric bill with a full ML system... but like so many things in this world.... if you have to ask you can't afford it. Too bad money is an object for most of us.

Brian

16. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Brian:

17. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

No, I could not justify spending that kind of money on one audio component(and I can afford it).

18. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Bhagi:
    Are you a music lover? If so, I suggest you go listen to a ML system - - it might change your mind, as it did mine [​IMG]
    Larry

19. John Morris

John Morris Guest

20. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor