If you had the choice, Pana RP-91 or Tosh SD4700?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'm back on the fence about this decision... Do I go with Pana RP-91 it has the great picture, DVD-A and the auto scale on 4:3. Seems to have lots of tweek options.

The problems include no variable zoom, no progressive switch on the remote and no... a feature I've used 4 times in the last week on my old Toshiba, Time Remaining. UI is also a pain. Had some problems on a DVD-R I burned, not sure if that was just the pioneer media. $200 more than the SD-4700.

Tosh SD-4700, nice picture no red flicker (would drive me nuts), interface I'm use to, and variable zoom which can do the same zoom as RP-91 4:3 scale, DVD-A. Problems include, chroma bug, saw that for the first time yesterday on ToyStory logo. Remote which doesn't glow or backlight. Cheaper build than the RP-91.

If you had the choice, what would/did you choose and why?

2. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I've not had a chance to view them so this is more of an uneducated opinion, but I'd choose the Panasonic RP91.

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

That's a funny response Wes!

4. Chris Hiter

Chris Hiter Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at the Tosh and a Sony 700 and I am still unsure also. I have looked at the Pany but I just haven't seen a $200 difference in picture but I don't have the keenist eye. I only have a nonHD Wega so I am thinking about going with the Tosh. I have looked at a few DVD's between these three at a local electronics store and I have not noticed a chroma bug but once again, I can't see some of these things that well

5. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

I bought a 4700 earlier this year that I ended up taking back. I tried to play 2 brand new DVD's and neither one would play on the 4700. I put them in my Pioneer Elite DVD and both worked perfectly. This is not a new problem for Toshiba, as my old 3109 starting having similar problems after about 1 year. Based upon my experience with their products, I would not consider them again for some time.

I've not seen the rp91, but if my choice was only between these 2, I would pick the Panny hands down based upon the above. However, I would consider some other brands, as I think the rp91 price is kinda high with somewhat older technology. I believe there are some new models coming out this summer from some other manufacturers. If you can wait, I would.

6. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Jon, what new players are coming out? I am looking for a "robust" player so I have eliminated the tosh4700 and the Panny RP91 is borderline. The Sony 900 looks pretty good at $400+ but I wonder what else is on the line . . .

7. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

Philips is coming out with a new model called the 962, which has many of the same features as the Q50, plus SACD. Price should be somewhere in the $500-$600 range. Should be released anytime.

Denon has the 2800mkII coming out, which is supposed to improve some of the issues with the 2800 and improved video performance.

I've heard some things that Panny is coming out with some new models this summer, but I haven't seen anything concrete on it. Same for Sony. There are not many players that do scaling, so this greatly limits your options if that is important to you.

I haven't worried much about some of the features, as my HDTV doesn't lock into full mode with progressive signals. I bought the Philips Q50 a few months ago for $300 and I don't think you can beat the video performance and I didn't care about SACD or DVD-A. I just have a difficult time right now with paying much money for these players given the speed of obsolescence in this area. I would say the Toshiba's would be a consideration, but I have not had much success with their products.

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Chris, I have a 4700 with a non HD Wega and I've been perfectly happy with it. The 4700 has a great interlaced picture(especially in squeeze mode) and DVDA is like hearing music for the first time.

9. Jeff_E

Jeff_E Extra

I have had the TOSHIBA SD4700 for about 3 months with no problems, progressive looks great and dvd audio is simply amazing. Got the player under $230.

10. Scotty D

Scotty D Auditioning

I got the Tosh 4700 about two months ago and have been VERY happy with it. The progressive scan picture is fantastic on my HD Wega and the zoom feature is great for those movies that I'd rather view in 4:3. I've had a couple problems with the player freezing on a couple of my kid's dvds, but admittedly, those dvds are pretty banged up. Got the unit for $211 from Buy.com with no sales tax and free shipping.