What's new

If you had a choice between DD and DTS. (1 Viewer)

Sonny T

Auditioning
If you had a choice to buy a DVD with DD or DTS which would you choose? Or should I say which would have a higher quality sound DD or DTS. I ask this because I have the audio drop on the DD version of Pearl Harbor with my Onkyo 595 and my Panasonic 31k. No problems whatsoever with the DTS version of Pearl Harbor on this setup. I "thought" DTS was a higher quality version that DD, so I'm not as concerned as some of the people on this board with the drop out on PH. Am I naive or am I missing something.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sounds like a candidate for the Polls forum.

I'd choose DD. It's a more compact and efficient format, and, assuming the same source master is used, it will sound every bit as good -- especially if we're talking half-bitrate DTS.

M.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Don't know if I could choose one or the other overall. I feel like DTS is more detailed than DD, but it seems like all my DTS discs have lame LFE output. Especially my Criterion edition of "The Rock". Explosions and gunfire have not punch to them in DTS, while they'll knock you over in DD.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I also don't know if I'd pick one over the other. On my system the maximum LFE TRIM is "0" and I leave it there all the time. DD has more punch than DTS on most disk on my system. To me (other than the bass) it seems like the only difference between DD and DTS is how they are mastered. If they both have the same master they sound the same to me.
Now before everyone goes crazy. Remember I said too ME.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks